Behind the scenes at the new Axxess head office - Photos

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Behind the scenes at the new Axxess head office - Photos

Axxess recently moved into its impressive new head office in Port Elizabeth which has already become a landmark in the City.

Axxess was founded by Franco Barbalich in his one-bedroom flat in 1997 and initially provided Internet access through four Internet cafés in Port Elizabeth.

In the early 2000s the company complemented its Internet access products with hardware sales, website design and hosting, and personal and business connectivity.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Modern architecture is so absolutely hideous and to make things worse, the self-flagellating designers will give themselves awards for this monstrosity that will likely rust to pieces in 20yrs time.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Was wondering how they all fit inside a shipping container. Looks nice inside at least

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
You have fugly new offices. Good for you :thumbsup:

Not sure why anyone apart from your staff needed to be exposed to them though? :unsure:

G.A.S

Was wondering how they all fit inside a shipping container. Looks nice inside at least
The scale is incredibly deceptive. They should have had a car or two outside for comparison (empty parkings don't count).

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Minimalist?
This building embodies the South African corporate attitude which is wanting to emulate an international trend without even knowing the Basic Fundamentals behind that trend/concept.

As for the building looks like the designer binged on a Hodge Podge of different architectural styles then threw up on some sketch paper.

BTW the Front of the building reminds of a Drive Through at a fast food place. Can't put my finger on which one though

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I like the new Axxess building. It is a bold design and the inside looks awesome. Also good that Franco decided to keep his business in PE even when it became a nationally competitive ISP.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I like the new Axxess building. It is a bold design and the inside looks awesome. Also good that Franco decided to keep his business in PE even when it became a nationally competitive ISP.
The inside looks pretty decent. Bit overdone on the corporate sweatshop vibe in some ways, but its still a nice looking place.

The building itself does seem to unfortunately stand out like a sore thumb in its surroundings though, and that for me is a big problem these days. Bold corporate head offices have their place, and the Axxess HO just seems out of place where it is. If that building was on a bit of a campus property with green space around it it would be much better in my opinion.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The inside looks pretty decent. Bit overdone on the corporate sweatshop vibe in some ways, but its still a nice looking place.

The building itself does seem to unfortunately stand out like a sore thumb in its surroundings though, and that for me is a big problem these days. Bold corporate head offices have their place, and the Axxess HO just seems out of place where it is. If that building was on a bit of a campus property with green space around it it would be much better in my opinion.
There's definitely a dungeon vibe to the interior, strikes me as a place that will become depressing really fast as that brick, dark walls, dark tiles and decor just absorb all the light in the room. Would be particularly bad if they go with warm lighting.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Appearance is deceiving. It looks good in its innards. Nice environment for their staff.