Behind the Web Africa, IS ADSL network deal

guest2013-1

Walt said that the IS network architecture, multiple geographically diverse IPCs, international capacity and national capacity, are all closely monitored.

“This ensures that, over time, changes in traffic, either as a result of changes from existing clients or from new clients, are seamlessly accommodated,” said Walt.
Does this mean Web Africa's team of "engineers" never closely monitored their own IPC? Makes sense, since we had to constantly complain and PROVE to them something is wrong with their routing/shaping etc

lawries72

The truth is that after Afrihost's departure, IS had masses of bandwidth, costing them millions and no one to bill for it.... enter WebAfrica. Probably sold it to them for .00002c/GB

Aessa

Why do they explain and defend this move so much? If people like to think that it's because Afrihost left IS, does it matter? Is that a terribly bad reason that would make people move away from them? They decided to make a move, they put out some explanations on it and could have just left it there.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
The truth is that after Afrihost's departure, IS had masses of bandwidth, costing them millions and no one to bill for it.... enter WebAfrica. Probably sold it to them for .00002c/GB
This was my thinking as well.

IS was probably just filling the void of bandwidth sales left behind from Afrihost.

drs

That's what I thought at first, too. Afrihost + Axxess have a lot of subscribers, and their departure must have left IS with an oversupply. Openweb, Plugg, Imaginet and the other IS resellers presumably aren't going to grow as quickly as Afrihost and Axxess left.

But why wouldn't IS just cancel the excess IPC and transit capacity? WebAfrica are going to have to do that now. If cancelling IPC/transit is difficult, why would WebAfrica be volunteering to help IS with their oversupply problem?

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
Morning,

It seems there is allot of assumptions being thrown around here and there about why we have decided to make this move. We have released a number of articles, created a FAQ's and answered many questions around the move on this forum.

I would just like to clear up that this move was motivated by factors such as IS' huge network infrastructure, price cuts/savings for our customers, and allowing us to concentrate more on providing better service to our customers by freeing up resources.

I would like to urge everyone to again have a read though links below for more info around the migration:

http://forums.webafrica.co.za/showthread.php/11440-Web-Africa-Network-Upgrade-FAQ

http://forums.webafrica.co.za/showthread.php/11441-Network-Feedback-and-Issues?p=79251&viewfull=1#post79251

Gromlek

And will the latency remain the same or be improved on? A large proportion of SA gamers use WebAfrica for this very reason. Rather tell us now if latency will be worse otherwise you will have a large community voicing largely their disapproval.

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative
And will the latency remain the same or be improved on? A large proportion of SA gamers use WebAfrica for this very reason. Rather tell us now if latency will be worse otherwise you will have a large community voicing largely their disapproval.
We've mentioned this a few times here.
Latency is set to improve.

Please give these threads a read through, a lot of answers are there
http://forums.webafrica.co.za/forumdisplay.php/90-General
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/502618-Web-Africa’s-big-ADSL-move
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/502620-Web-Africa-uncapped-ADSL-prices-cut

BGE

Expert Member
It seems there is allot of assumptions being thrown around here and there about why we have decided to make this move
Assumptions, maybe Justin. It's more like the glaringly obvious... Afrihost moved from IS leaving them with over capacity, they "probably" approach WebAfrica with an excellent deal, for the sake of lowering costs, higher profits and remaining competitve WebAfrica decided to move over to IS. Simple(without the PR bs!).

Makes business sense... no need to candy coat it!

snobee

Time will tell. So people complaining about it now is a waste of time. Afrihost made many bold comments about how great their move was, and for many users it was a disaster, and in some cases still is. For me the move was relatively fine.
As I also have a WA account, I will be watching with interest to see if the promises come true. All we have is their word on the matter, so we can only take them on that. Until then, stop complaining and guessing, and wait for the move.

BGE

Expert Member
Afrihost made many bold comments about how great their move was, and for many users it was a disaster, and in some cases still is.
We use an Afrihost business ADSL account, had issues right after the move, but it's been very stable for quite some time now. Not as fast as I'd like, but very stable with excellent local latency.

guest2013-1

and allowing us to concentrate more on providing better service to our customers by freeing up resources.
In other words, couldn't manage the network, couldn't compete because of dumbass monkeys running the network saying it's "not possible" to do what they wanted, and figured it, as an expense, is too much and it's too much effort running their own network. So they moved.

I'm wondering how this will affect the hosting

guest2013-1

I'm also confident that one of the bigger reasons for this move (other than not being able to manage their own IPC effectively) is the droves of people leaving Web Africa because of service levels (as mentioned, they can now concentrate on service more to keep people happy instead of worrying about IPC)

I gave them 5 years when they started with their own network... how long as it been? lol

killerbyte

Expert Member
I would be interested in testing out the quality of the ADSL packages that WA offers. Their customer service is excellent but my MWEB performance is amazing. Done 100gigs so far this month on the 2meg uncapped shaped throttled package and have not been throttled yet. Gaming performance is and has always been spectacular so I have very little reason to move. But there are two things I would change about MWEB.
1. Technical support 24/7 like WA
2. A way to know when I have been throttled, where I sit amongst the rest of the users in terms of usage, etc.

guest2013-1

Their customer service is excellent
I'm sorry I lost you there. Web Africa's customer service is excellent? I'm betting you never had a problem where you had to phone into their call center/create a ticket or anything right?

Because Web Africa's customer service SUCKS and is the WORST I've EVER had, and I've dealt with iAfrica and MWEB in the early 1990's!

First off, they do have technical support 24/7 "like" WA (in fact, WA doesn't even have the quality technical support or reach that MWEB has, I've seen MWEB Guy post 1am in the morning here in response to queries)

You can reach them in so many ways it's insane. Web Africa will still force you to PM them and create a support ticket and/or stay on the line for 50min + or tell you "our engineers are looking into it"

You don't have to take the cheapest package they offer, I use their premium package and don't wonder "when" I'm being throttled. It's your choice. MWEB just gives you the option.

WAJeff

Web Africa Representative
I'm sorry I lost you there. Web Africa's customer service is excellent? I'm betting you never had a problem where you had to phone into their call center/create a ticket or anything right?

Because Web Africa's customer service SUCKS and is the WORST I've EVER had, and I've dealt with iAfrica and MWEB in the early 1990's!

First off, they do have technical support 24/7 "like" WA (in fact, WA doesn't even have the quality technical support or reach that MWEB has, I've seen MWEB Guy post 1am in the morning here in response to queries)

You can reach them in so many ways it's insane. Web Africa will still force you to PM them and create a support ticket and/or stay on the line for 50min + or tell you "our engineers are looking into it"

You don't have to take the cheapest package they offer, I use their premium package and don't wonder "when" I'm being throttled. It's your choice. MWEB just gives you the option.
Hi AcidRaZor

We get it, you really hate Web Africa.
I'm sure everyone knows this by now. Still, no need to throw around your hatred to everyone who comments something even slightly positive.

It's not constructive.
You probably aren't deterring a lot of people not to use us.
It's entirely pointless and holds absolutely no water to compare who is online later. What's the point?

Yes, you've had some poor experiences with us. I've done my absolute best to try and help out here, I think Justin has too. I've read a lot of your slander towards our brand - rather keep things on topic as opposed to swaying away from the topic at hand and simply bashing anything that has Web Africa in the title.

Crowley

Executive Member

When I was still with WA I always received top notch support. I've never pm'd for any support though. Phoning them works 100%

snobee

I use a Business Uncapped and the few times I have had to speak to WA have always been pleasant. That is my experience, and if AcidRaZor has had the opposite then that is fine as well. Though I also feel it is harsh for him to imply that those with good experiences are just not having the "correct" problems to see WA's bad side.

b@nD

Banned
Reality -- Truth

I think Justin has too. I've read a lot of your slander towards our brand - rather keep things on topic as opposed to swaying away from the topic at hand and simply bashing anything that has Web Africa in the title.
What I do not understand about the whole story ........
Way back when WA were so gung-ho about their own IPC etc etc -- becoming a Tier One provider and so on and so forth
and
all those lovely FREE trials and tests

SO
What happened guys ?

What will now happen to the networks you used to have and all the associated stuff -- networking equipment IP ranges etc etc ?

I have come to understand that ALL SA businesses always candy floss reality ( learned from the Gov - or perhaps the other way around ? ) -- so what is the REAL Deal ?