Ben Gurion Airport, Israel

BrandonH

Expert Member
I'm going to be flying via Israel soon and unfortunately have a 7 hour overnight layover at Ben Gurion.

As a SA passport holder am I allowed to leave the airport during that time or do I have to get a tourist visa? Also, do south african's require transit visa's for israel?

From google it seems we don't but I'd rather hear from someone who has already done it.

thanks

Palimino

Expert Member
I'm going to be flying via Israel soon and unfortunately have a 7 hour overnight layover at Ben Gurion.

As a SA passport holder am I allowed to leave the airport during that time or do I have to get a tourist visa? Also, do south african's require transit visa's for israel?

From google it seems we don't but I'd rather hear from someone who has already done it.

thanks
I did it some years ago (things may have changed) You probably have to get some sort of visa (I wasn’t transiting, I was staying so I wouldn’t know). The most important thing (IMO) is to get them to stamp on a separate piece of paper (not your passport). If you are visiting another hostile country (especially Arabic ones), customs officials don’t like to see Israeli stamps in your passport & may hassle you.

The Israeli’s understand your apprehension and may do it without even being asked.

BrandonH

Expert Member
I'm not too concerned about getting an israeli stamp in my passport, I tend to steer clear of arab countries.

I'll have to get in touch with their embassy to see if we need visa's these days.

krycor

Honorary Master
Depends on the visa stamp they give you. You get the tourist one and the PA/palestinian authority only one(ironically this excludes Jerusalem). You don't need a visa to enter if you are a South African BUT can be rejected entry based on IDF objections etc and as stated above check which stamp you get.

chutzpah44

South Africans do not need visas to enter Israel however a visa is granted upon entry. However if you are flying from SA you will have very strict search procedures at OR Tambo where you will be questioned throughly. It seems to be that they rely on the embarkation "checkers" to allow you on the flight