Ben Shapiro: US commentator clashes with BBC's Andrew Neil

Shapiro seems like a guy who likes to **** on his neighbour's porch and then when the neighbour comes around to complain attacks him for trespassing on his property. He's all over the place with his.... "positions".

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
And if you are a human incapable of making a choice the state will make sure others have the right to choose to kill you. Pro choice.
Euthanasia is not equitable to abortion. Euthanasia is entirely wrong, no matter how the pro group wants to frame it.
But isn't that 90% of the cases AFAIK?
Also should I be paying taxes to fund irresponsible peoples birth control?
You didn't read with comprehension. I'm advocating AGAINST abortion being used in place of responsible birth control. And it is very heavily marketed as an 'easy' solution, which I also do not agree with. I do not regard the morning after pill as an abortion, even though technically it is.

And yes we should be funding birth control, condoms, and sanitary towels more than we do. It is an upfront fix to a lot of problems.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why? I see it as entirely compassionate and merciful. Sorry if this is off topic but I'm surprised by your pov
Yeah I'm intrigued as well...

For me euthanasia should be a choice offered to people if they want it under certain circumstances...

Nick333

Honorary Master
Yeah I'm intrigued as well...

For me euthanasia should be a choice offered to people if they want it under certain circumstances...
I just wonder how one reconciles the unprincipled view that individuals should be allowed to decide to end an unborn child's life under specific circumstances, with the principled view that individuals shouldn't be allowed to decide to end their own lives under any circumstances.

quovadis

Expert Member
In both cases the state allows humans to kill other humans that are unable to decide for themselves.
I think that anyone who has witnessed a loved one deteriorate because of terminal illness and lose their dignity would understand that euthanasia should always be an option for those who want it. There is definitely a much stronger case for it compared to other circumstances but more so when it's someones own determination.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That 4:00-4:15 saying abortion jail terms are extreme, and then Shapiro gets triggered. Bad reaction from Shapiro, but this is definitely not the first interview where he's "messed up" like this.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
I just wonder how one reconciles the unprincipled view that individuals should be allowed to decide to end an unborn child's life under specific circumstances, with the principled view that individuals shouldn't be allowed to decide to end their own lives under any circumstances.
It's very simple. It is not the people who are choosing. If you are a bit gaga your offspring can decide for you. And if you can't see the potential abuse in that right there ...

And what everyone fails to take into account, is that end of life care already 'ends' life. It isn't euthanasia, but all the drugs, and doses at which they are given, hasten the end considerably. There is no need to hasten it more by giving people the ability to help their 'loved' ones over the line in 'mercy'.

It is the same argument used by people in nursing homes and hospitals who decide to 'help' people out of their pain and suffering - we used to call that murder - we may even still call it murder, but it's ok to get a doctor to kill grandma to end her 'suffering'. There is a huge disconnect there.

The elderly, and disabled are already vulnerable to so much abuse, from 'caregivers' to what goes down in some nursing homes - do you really think it is a good idea to give these abusers the ability to legally kill as well?

And there is the disconnect between suicide prevention and euthanasia - if a younger person is depressed, not coping with life and wants out, we stop them, tell them 'there is so much to live for' and get them help. If an older person is depressed, not coping and wants out - we have a massive brainfart and say, 'ok fine, let me go get the needle?" FFS? How does that even compute with anyone?

Last edited:

quovadis

Expert Member
How does that even compute with anyone?
It computes with those who can distinguish between euthanasia, suicide and murder. I don't think anyone is advocating for the murder of grandma by anyone or a teenage who's suffering from depression and thus wishes suicide via euthanasia. It's the reason why, where euthanasia is legalised, there are strict conditions under which it can be done.

I don't need to watch Ben Shapiro arguing with a corporate media robot I think I know the outcome. Why he gave this idiot even 60 seconds of his time is surprising.

I would have walked out at the 0:55 mark. The reporter was just looking for a sensational angle. Goodbye.
You clearly don't know who Andrew Neil is. He gives everyone a hard time from across the political spectrum. Also, he's chairman of the influential UK conservative magazine, the Spectator. Go on YouTube and watch some of his interviews. He goes through stuff in a forensic manner, exposing the nonsense peddled by activists, politicians and the like.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
It computes with those who can distinguish between euthanasia, suicide and murder. I don't think anyone is advocating for the murder of grandma by anyone or a teenage who's suffering from depression and thus wishes suicide via euthanasia. It's the reason why, where euthanasia is legalised, there are strict conditions under which it can be done.
I know the folks who think this is a good idea aren't advocating to murder grandma, they are merely oblivious to the fact that they are making it easy for someone else to legally murder grandma. Elder abuse is shockingly rife, I think until those problems are better resolved than they are now, I have a hard time with wanting to put any legislation in place that makes it easier for abusers to justify their actions to themselves. Especially those who are inclined to think they are helping relieve patients of pain by relieving them of life.

quovadis

Expert Member
I know the folks who think this is a good idea aren't advocating to murder grandma, they are merely oblivious to the fact that they are making it easy for someone else to legally murder grandma. Elder abuse is shockingly rife, I think until those problems are better resolved than they are now, I have a hard time with wanting to put any legislation in place that makes it easier for abusers to justify their actions to themselves. Especially those who are inclined to think they are helping relieve patients of pain by relieving them of life.
I'm pretty sure that if they (being the evil caregivers and family members) were determined to get rid of Grandma they'd figure it out without having to resort to the new "go to" plan of Grandma euthanasia. Making such a decision would never involve a unilateral decision anyway and in all countries the legal framework requires the patient to be terminally ill and there is plenty of oversight to ensure that those relatives and caregivers don't go off the rails.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Your argument fails as euthanasia requires a judge to rule that they agreed to it, "grandma" will not be able to make that decision if not in charge of her mental faculties and neither will any children/family/etc.

And that legislation would only make it easier for you to end your life, how does it help abusers? You still haven't answered that.

lumeer

On a related note, here's the interview that went viral between Jordan Peterson and Cathy Newman:

The feisty Newman clearly underestimated who she was dealing with.