Best 100Mbps Openserve uncapped prices in South Africa

siraman

Expert Member
Depressing to read these fibre articles knowing it's going to be donkey years before the rest of SA is swimming in it, but hey, Rome was not built in and all that.:crying:

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Can the reporting of the word "uncapped" please stop. These things are not uncapped. They are soft capped packages at best.

cozinsky

Expert Member
There is a catch with the 100 Mbps Afrihost offering. The price quoted is for their Home Uncapped package which is subject to throttling should a user reach the monthly threshold of 300GB (apparently only if the network is under strain). I don't like the idea of throttling so I signed up for the Premium Uncapped package which is not subject to throttling or monthly thresholds under normal circumstances. It is more expensive at R1600 but I am promised Pure Internet Joy. They have another package called Priority Uncapped but at R2000 it is expensive and most probably meant for businesses. In comparison, the Telkom Fibre uncapped has a FUP of 6000GB and the after-hour downloads don't count towards the threshold which is maybe also a good deal, considering it also includes free calls to Telkom and 3gb mobile data.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Something else to take into account is openserve prices include voiceline rental with associated free minutes etc.

moabin

Something else to take into account is openserve prices include voiceline rental with associated free minutes etc.
I don't think so...I called 10210 yesterday to ask about this...
I have 10mbps on ADSL with Closer 2 at +- 1100p/m....the call center lady confirmed I will still pay the same even if my data moves to openserve...I still need the analogue line and will pay the line costs if my ADSL portion is switched to fibre.
I can remove the analogue portion but no free calls and only pay R799

Side note: my ADSL (TI isp + line cost) has been at R799 for a few years now...I tried to cancel a few years back and they gave me a discount

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I don't think so...I called 10210 yesterday to ask about this...
I have 10mbps on ADSL with Closer 2 at +- 1100p/m....the call center lady confirmed I will still pay the same even if my data moves to openserve...I still need the analogue line and will pay the line costs if my ADSL portion is switched to fibre.
I can remove the analogue portion but no free calls and only pay R799

Side note: my ADSL (TI isp + line cost) has been at R799 for a few years now...I tried to cancel a few years back and they gave me a discount
Plenty of confusion here.

According to the info you have provided, you currently have a Telkom fixed line service together with an ADSL connection and a Telkom ISP account. Is this correct?

There is no "moving to OpenServe" involved or required --- You are on OpenServe ADSL infrastructure by default anyway.

When you move over to a fibre connection for your data and retain Telkom as your ISP, all that will happen is the ADSL service will drop away. Unless you now also move the fixed line service over to VoIP, the fixed line will remain in place and therefore the line rental and current plan will remain in place. You have to be very specific about what needs to be cutover to the fibre connection.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
There is a catch with the 100 Mbps Afrihost offering. The price quoted is for their Home Uncapped package which is subject to throttling should a user reach the monthly threshold of 300GB (apparently only if the network is under strain). I don't like the idea of throttling so I signed up for the Premium Uncapped package which is not subject to throttling or monthly thresholds under normal circumstances. It is more expensive at R1600 but I am promised Pure Internet Joy. They have another package called Priority Uncapped but at R2000 it is expensive and most probably meant for businesses. In comparison, the Telkom Fibre uncapped has a FUP of 6000GB and the after-hour downloads don't count towards the threshold which is maybe also a good deal, considering it also includes free calls to Telkom and 3gb mobile data.
Jip, Premium is real joy, I don't care if the 10mbps one costs R200 more (R847 vs R647), just smooth sailing. The Home accounts are really for light users.

And I don't trust these ones that cost the same as Afrihost Home (with no other level of account besides my more expensive business accounts) and say they won't shape you or throttle you or anything, been there and done that with MWeb. At least with Afrihost you know where you stand beforehand.