Best 2nd hand car to buy under R150 k ???

Lou101

Good Day all

I'm new to mybroadband so please don't be harsh if i may ask a dumb/repeated question here, i'm still figuring this out :p

Im looking at buying a 2nd hand vehicle around the R150k mark.

I have lined up quite few cars im looking at.
Main focus is on Fuel economy, reliability and a bit of torque if i may need to get out of trouble somewhere.

• VW -polo 1.6 or 1.2tsi
Im just wondering what the torque is on the 1.2tsi, if i have 3 passengers(boepenses and luggage), will i be able to overtake a truck at going 120 ?

• Ford fiesta -the 1.0 ecoboost, same question , does it have enough umphhh to go past someone.
Otherwise ill look at the 1.6tdci ?
Maybe an older model ST gdti and spend a bit more ?

I'm not interested in a car with more than 140 000 km on the clock , i'm only planning on driving it for maybe max 3 to 4 years.

Other cars i've been looking at are the 1.4 tsi dsg polo, audi a4 1.8, huyindai i20, kia rio.

Other models can aslo be suggested seeing as im not an expert.

Any advise would be much appreciated if you maybe have owned any of the above or have advise in any way.

Lou101

If heard horror stories regarding diesel pumps and turbos on 320d's, what does services cost and how reliable are they. Do you maybe have an idea?

semisane1987

R150K you looking at small cars VW Up, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10 grand or Suzuki Swift if you looking for something newish. Don't know if you buying cash but you can try the new Nissan Micra Active try to get some discount.

I think R150k if you looking for a bigger car, you looking at something old 2014.

Sumen

Expert Member
Opel Astra 1.4t, you will be able to find one
Also Renault Megane 1.4Tce
Audi A3

Last edited:

Lou101

R150K you looking at small cars VW Up, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10 grand or Suzuki Swift if you looking for something newish. Don't know if you buying cash but you can try the new Nissan Micra Active try to get some discount.

I think R150k if you looking for a bigger car, you looking at something old 2014.
Im looking at anything reliable and not too entry level, so i dont really want a new car seeing as they al feel like they are made of tin and i can have such a much more reliable and comfortable second hand car at that price.

Sumen

Expert Member
Non turbo options can include
Kia Cerato,
first gen hyundai i30
Previous generation Mazda 3

DeathStrike

Expert Member
If heard horror stories regarding diesel pumps and turbos on 320d's, what does services cost and how reliable are they. Do you maybe have an idea?
not just the 320d. my vw tdi also giving me issues. but that is another story.

@OP. get something with very low millage. wife got a ford fiesta 1.6 ambiente with 28 000km on clock. yes not a typo. 2011 model for R 120 000.

if you going turbo diesel then stay away from high millage.

Lou101

Hi thanks for the reply, how is her car any issues so far ? are the services expensive ?

thechamp

Honorary Master

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
N47 have massive issue with timing chains that fail, make sure that it is replaced. Also the damper pulley will also fail . Other than that they keep on going.

Services cost R1500 at stealership, R1000 when they run a special.

You will love the torque :p

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Test Drive them and make your own decisions.

Paper values on the internet don’t mean much.

ahoudet

Expert Member
Opel Astra 1.4t, you will be able to find one
Also Renault Megane 1.4Tce
Audi A3
Currently driving a Megane TCe. I’d highly recommend one. Super comfy and has enough power for a daily. Safe cars as well and quite spacious.

falcon786

Executive Member
E46 320d's gave lots of turbo issues and when they blew they could cause damage in the engine also as they leaked fluids into the engine.There was a swirl flap mod which prevented premature turbo failure but yeah not worth the effort for me unless you already have one.

From e90 onwards they are electronic turbo's which are very reliable and if they ever seize then they seal up,also replacing one with an original OEM from Garret is around R8k so not a trainsmash.

I haven't heard anything major about oil pumps packing up though.

not just the 320d. my vw tdi also giving me issues. but that is another story.

@OP. get something with very low millage. wife got a ford fiesta 1.6 ambiente with 28 000km on clock. yes not a typo. 2011 model for R 120 000.

if you going turbo diesel then stay away from high millage.
Let's not compare Apple's to banana's E90 320d onwards are very strong motors,my previous manual had 384 000km's on the clock before I sold it without any mechanical problems.Except for normal services,brakes and tyres there was no other mechanical issues until I sold it.My current one has 220000k's on the clock and is automatic,I use it as my run around and it's 10 times better than these small tin cans people use as a run around,safer,faster,better build quality,better handling,better in all aspects and similar fuel consumption.

N47 have massive issue with timing chains that fail, make sure that it is replaced. Also the damper pulley will also fail . Other than that they keep on going.

That torque is addictive,drove a friends 325i the other day and it felt sluggish even though they are similar performance wise.

How do I check properly if mine has an N47 motor?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
E46 320d's gave lots of turbo issues and when they blew they could cause damage in the engine also as they leaked fluids into the engine.There was a swirl flap mod which prevented premature turbo failure but yeah not worth the effort for me unless you already have one.

From e90 onwards they are electronic turbo's which are very reliable and if they ever seize then they seal up,also replacing one with an original OEM from Garret is around R8k so not a trainsmash.

I haven't heard anything major about oil pumps packing up though.

Let's not compare Apple's to banana's E90 320d onwards are very strong motors,my previous manual had 384 000km's on the clock before I sold it without any mechanical problems.Except for normal services,brakes and tyres there was no other mechanical issues until I sold it.My current one has 220000k's on the clock and is automatic,I use it as my run around and it's 10 times better than these small tin cans people use as a run around,safer,faster,better build quality,better handling,better in all aspects and similar fuel consumption.

That torque is addictive,drove a friends 325i the other day and it felt sluggish even though they are similar performance wise.

How do I check properly if mine has an N47 motor?
I think all 320d from 2005 till 2012 have n47 motor's. The f30 range has n47t motors.

falcon786

Executive Member
I think all 320d from 2005 till 2012 have n47 motor's. The f30 range has n47t motors.
Ok then maybe the timing chain issue doesn't affect all of them as my first one had 384000k's on the clock (manual) and my second now on 220000k's (auto) both no timing chain issues,my auto had one water pipe leak which costed me about R1k to fix with a new part from BMW but that was about it.:confused:

MIA7171

Good Day all

I'm new to mybroadband so please don't be harsh if i may ask a dumb/repeated question here, i'm still figuring this out :p

Im looking at buying a 2nd hand vehicle around the R150k mark.

I have lined up quite few cars im looking at.
Main focus is on Fuel economy, reliability and a bit of torque if i may need to get out of trouble somewhere.

• VW -polo 1.6 or 1.2tsi
Im just wondering what the torque is on the 1.2tsi, if i have 3 passengers(boepenses and luggage), will i be able to overtake a truck at going 120 ?

• Ford fiesta -the 1.0 ecoboost, same question , does it have enough umphhh to go past someone.
Otherwise ill look at the 1.6tdci ?
Maybe an older model ST gdti and spend a bit more ?

I'm not interested in a car with more than 140 000 km on the clock , i'm only planning on driving it for maybe max 3 to 4 years.

Other cars i've been looking at are the 1.4 tsi dsg polo, audi a4 1.8, huyindai i20, kia rio.

Other models can aslo be suggested seeing as im not an expert.

Any advise would be much appreciated if you maybe have owned any of the above or have advise in any way.
The Polo 1.2tsi has a torque of 160 Nm and fiesta has a 1.0 ecoboost has a torque of 170 Nm. Most cars are capable of overtaking, some just do it better or faster than other.

The 1.2tsi has acceleration of (0-100 km) in 11.1 estimate while the 1.0 ecoboost has a acceleration of 10 secs estimate.

Other alternatives 320d, Audi A3, Golf, Kia Cerato, Astra. Swift Sport may be too small. In my opinion the i20 and Rio tend to be a bit sluggish.

Masataka

2011 and up should have the revised version C engine, which doesn’t have the timing chain issue. Damper can probably expect to go anywhere after 120k, otherwise they’re easily one of the more reliable cars out there.

BMW make excellent Diesel engines.