Best ADSL and Fibre ISPs in South Africa

Bighit

Expert Member
Cool Ideas 10MB Uncapped: R899
Telkom 10MB uncapped: R799 (with an extra 2GB sim, and an android box).

Value for money: Telkom 6.39, Cool Ideas 8.40 :wtf:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

On Telkoms own network, also a different product. It's more something across the board with the multitude of networks :)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

The figures you mentioned mean truly nothing. Value is derived from the quality of the product. Telkom's network quality and customer support were both the lowest ranked, so at that level no pricing is going to provide value.

waylander

Expert Member
The figures you mentioned mean truly nothing. Value is derived from the quality of the product. Telkom's network quality and customer support were both the lowest ranked, so at that level no pricing is going to provide value.
Telkom Internet on fibre really isn't as bad as what people think, remember that many people on TI are using copper which is terrible regardless of ISP, while CISP is mostly fibre focused which skews customers' perception.

That said, CISP deserves their spot at #1.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Telkom Internet on fibre really isn't as bad as what people think, remember that many people on TI are using copper which is terrible regardless of ISP, while CISP is mostly fibre focused which skews customers' perception.

I'm not convinced. I used to be happy with Crystal Web before I ever got fibre at my previous address, and again when I was initially on VDSL at my current address. One of my best friends is stuck on a long term Telkom contract and he is counting the months until he's free to leave. From my experience helping him with issues, Telkom's customer support is possibly the worst of any company in SA, the network performance during peak times is diabolical and the hidden fair usage limits are scandalous.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Well done @PBCool and CISP! Now don't go the way of Webafrica and Afrihost and start letting us down as you start growing...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

Openserve is probably the worst fibre provider, with the worst offerings and pricing. It's really the last resort for those who have no other fibre option...

brettmcalister

I would just like to warn anyone who is working to bring TT CONNECT into their area as a Fibre infrastructure provider to stay far away from them. They are worse than Telkom and are super unreliable. We have them in our area and lots of people including myself have issues in terms of the internet being down or slow this happens on a weekly basis. Im more than happy to provide facts to backup my claims if anyone has questions. Im on our area committee and I initially started working with them before they started rolling out into the area.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Openserve is probably the worst fibre provider, with the worst offerings and pricing. It's really the last resort for those who have no other fibre option...
I agree on pricing. They are expensive. I mean the price of a 100/50 live with openserve is about the price I pay all inclusive for a 100/100 line uncapped unshapped. R999 pm. My provider is also gpon so J just can't see why openserve is so expensive.

That said they have a unique offering allowing for pppoe so that changes it a bit especially if you consider that an ISP change is a mere usernane and pass change in the router away.

I must say (specializing in customer service and satisfaction in the Financial Industry for so long) most customers including myself would rather pay extra for a product not as good as its competitors but who gives you great support and service which is why I will stay with AFRIHOST. Also I have had no problems with my network quality, everything is working 100% as it should.