Best ADSL ISP in South Africa: consumer survey

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Afrihost's IPC upgrade, saved Afrihost's reputation just in time for the survey :D

Brewmaster

"That guy"
Afrihost would also do well in the survey "Worst uncapped ISP to stream HD Twitch from".

Praeses

Expert Member
What's the sample sizes of each ISP? Statistically those values mean nothing without sample sizes for each ISP...

Petec

Expert Member
Live streaming only works in SA, if you are prepared to pay over a grand for all services.

You can get that kind of service in most other places in the world for 10 to 20 dollars, with free calls thrown in and NO line rental. This has been the state for years now... Here in SA we get scr3w3d so badly, it's ridiculous.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
What a surprise, Telkom bottom. And with their underhand tactics to get you to sign with their ISP by abusing their monopoly position, they will do absolutely sweet fa about changing anything.

What a disgrace.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
What a surprise, Telkom bottom. And with their underhand tactics to get you to sign with their ISP by abusing their monopoly position, they will do absolutely sweet fa about changing anything.

What a disgrace.
Cancel TISP and get another ISP ?

wow that was hard.

Taranis

Banned
Nice one Afrihost. They are the best.
If you still think that, then go visit the uncapped page where they are heavily shaped, and have been promised upgrades for months, yet are taking on new customers. (Their rep says their network is nearly at max)

poorestguy

If you still think that, then go visit the uncapped page where they are heavily shaped, and have been promised upgrades for months, yet are taking on new customers. (Their rep says their network is nearly at max)
I'm surprised TI is that low. I have used quite a few ISPs mentioned above, but TI was the best value for money by far

falcon786

Honorary Master

What a disgrace.
I'm surprised TI is that low. I have used quite a few ISPs mentioned above, but TI was the best value for money by far
I suspect as usual many ignorant survey participants confuse "TELKOM ISP" with Telkom that supplies their line.We all agree the Telkom line supply part is terribly over priced etc but Telkom ISP on uncapped is actually not bad at all for me.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Cancel TISP and get another ISP ?

wow that was hard.
Thanks for the advice Einstein, but I did that years ago. The disgrace is, amongst many other things, is that we are forced to deal with these underhand barstards if we want a fixed line and forced to pay for the line installation unless we use Telkom as our ISP.

Lot's of people will take them up on it as well not knowing any better and that is at the very least an abuse of their position, and surely should be illegal as it is anti competitive. And it's this kind of attitude that typifies the state of telecommunications in this country and they will carry on because people like you will roll over and let them get away with it.

So Telkom do nothing to improve the network and their ISP sucks balls, bottom of the log even with their privileged position and unfair head start. It's a fsckin joke. And why? Because they don't have to improve anything because they can get away with applying underhand tactics and still coin it in.

Easy. And we all lose, you as well Einstein.

But hey, join the ISP carousel and try another flavour of the month for a while before subscribers rise and the service drops like a brick. Telkom still get their money.

And before you say it, I know this is about ISPS but my original comment was linking the schitty piss poor service of the ISP with the general attitude of the company.

:D well said!
Really? I tried Telkom again last winter after a few years away but that lasted 2 months.

So would you suggest I try next? I've been round the A-Z of ISPs in SA and am currently on MWEB Premium as it is less schitty in my circumstances than the others at this particular moment.

All suggestions greatly accepted.

Or do you perhaps think they are all as schit as each other because they all run on the same schitty Telkom friggen lines?

MickeyD

RIP
Really? I tried Telkom again last winter after a few years away but that lasted 2 months.

So would you suggest I try next? I've been round the A-Z of ISPs in SA and am currently on MWEB Premium as it is less schitty in my circumstances than the others at this particular moment.

All suggestions greatly accepted.

Or do you perhaps think they are all as schit as each other because they all run on the same schitty Telkom friggen lines?
I've been with the same ISP since they offered uncapped and am still happy as it suits my requirements. That they finished last on the survey pleases me as it won't cause a rush of new customers that could potentially cause my service to degrade! :p

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I suspect as usual many ignorant survey participants confuse "TELKOM ISP" with Telkom that supplies their line.We all agree the Telkom line supply part is terribly over priced etc but Telkom ISP on uncapped is actually not bad at all for me.
Lucky for you, because if it wasn't you'd sit on the phone for the next hour or two trying to tell someone.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I've been with the same ISP since they offered uncapped and am still happy as it suits my requirements. That they finished last on the survey pleases me as it won't cause a rush of new customers that could potentially cause my service to degrade! :p
As I say, lucky you and lucky you don't have any problems and you don't need to contact them. That alone is a nightmare with their antiquated call centre system.

Me, I'm still trying to fend off the shyster lawyers for money owed to Telkom and their ISP after I cancelled last August. I cancelled everything including the ISP, ripped out the line, moved out for 6 months, did a lot of renovations, moved back in to a schit storm of unpaid bills for a service we cancelled but they obviously thought that would be too easy for them to keep their side of the agreement.

Having a record of the conversation times and the name of the woman I dealt with means nothing by the way. Last contact was 3 weeks ago with the shyster lawyers btw and we haven't heard anything more. I'm not optimistic it will remain that way.

Amazingly, I got my refund of my reinstallation of the line because I complained on hellopeter. Luckily, the last line was in my wife's name as she gets the bad credit record, so I could get the reinstallation done on my name.

Yayyy Telkom.

MickeyD

RIP
As I say, lucky you and lucky you don't have any problems and you don't need to contact them. That alone is a nightmare with their antiquated call centre system.

Me, I'm still trying to fend off the shyster lawyers for money owed to Telkom and their ISP after I cancelled last August. I cancelled everything including the ISP, ripped out the line, moved out for 6 months, did a lot of renovations, moved back in to a schit storm of unpaid bills for a service we cancelled but they obviously thought that would be too easy for them to keep their side of the agreement.

Having a record of the conversation times and the name of the woman I dealt with means nothing by the way. Last contact was 3 weeks ago with the shyster lawyers btw and we haven't heard anything more. I'm not optimistic it will remain that way.

Amazingly, I got my refund of my reinstallation of the line because I complained on hellopeter. Luckily, the last line was in my wife's name as she gets the bad credit record, so I could get the reinstallation done on my name.

Yayyy Telkom.
Which is why I refuse to do any form of contractual business via a call centre... I've had quite a few run-ins at Telkom Direct shops as they want to sell me new stuff but refuse to cancel or alter stuff they previously sold to me. I've won every time. And I refuse to "use the phone in the corner" :D