Best Affordable Laptop for Editing and Gaming

Renier01

Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a laptop(I travel quite a lot so I need something portable). My budget is about R25000($1800, incl. shipping and customs). I'm a photographer and videographer, so I'd need to do a lot of photo and video editing on it. I'm also a gamer, so I need something that can keep me gaming on reasonable settings for about 4 to 5 years. I was looking at this laptop: https://tinyurl.com/y7uv76wq but I'm not sure if it's the right choice(I've heard TN panels are a no no for editors?).
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated

WAslayer

Expert Member
Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a laptop(I travel quite a lot so I need something portable). My budget is about R25000($1800, incl. shipping and customs). I'm a photographer and videographer, so I'd need to do a lot of photo and video editing on it. I'm also a gamer, so I need something that can keep me gaming on reasonable settings for about 4 to 5 years. I was looking at this laptop: https://tinyurl.com/y7uv76wq but I'm not sure if it's the right choice(I've heard TN panels are a no no for editors?).
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated
This should be a good option at your budget.. If you want graphics for the next 5 years, up your budget.. This has an IPS display..

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS65-Ste...ealth+thin&dpPl=1&dpID=41xWJWIidIL&ref=plSrch

Renier01

newby_investor

Expert Member
I'm currently looking at a Dell XPS 15 myself. They have good screens that do 100% of the sRGB colour space, decent specs, and are thin and light. Some places you can get them below 25k though you may have to shop around. A colleague has one and I'm thoroughly jealous which is why I'm looking.

Renier01

I'm currently looking at a Dell XPS 15 myself. They have good screens that do 100% of the sRGB colour space, decent specs, and are thin and light. Some places you can get them below 25k though you may have to shop around. A colleague has one and I'm thoroughly jealous which is why I'm looking.
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you maybe link me to one that is being sold in South Africa? And do you think it will be fit for gaming?

TehStranger

Executive Member
Their FHD screens do 100% of sRGB, while their 4K screens do 100% of Adobe RGB for what it's worth. So if you have a bigger budget than OP I would highly recommend looking at an XPS 15 with the 4K screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you maybe link me to one that is being sold in South Africa? And do you think it will be fit for gaming?
How important is gaming compared to the photo/video editing? Because gaming for 4 to 5 years is a push at your budget if you want a decent screen. For gaming something like 120Hz/144Hz will be more important, while for photo/video work resolution and colour space will be more important. I think the Dell XPS 15 with the FHD display is probably your best bet.

Here's one available in SA (but with 8GB of ram and a bit over your budget). It'll be fine for gaming, but not for 4/5 years.

Last edited:

newby_investor

Expert Member
Here's one:
https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/94521743/Dell+XPS+15+15.6"+Intel+Core+i7+Notebook

They do get a lot more expensive than that depending on what you spec them with but even the entry-level ones are pretty good IMO.

As to gaming - I don't know. I don't game myself. I do a bit of Lightroom, not too intense I'll admit, the rest of my performance requirements come from number-crunching for work and research. The specs of the machine suggest it should do well enough. But I guess it depends on what kind of expectations you have.

Maybe google around for some reviews? YouTube is full of them as well.

Renier01

Their FHD screens do 100% of sRGB, while their 4K screens do 100% of Adobe RGB for what it's worth. So if you have a bigger budget than OP I would highly recommend looking at an XPS 15 with the 4K screen.

How important is gaming compared to the photo/video editing? Because gaming for 4 to 5 years is a push at your budget if you want a decent screen. For gaming something like 120Hz/144Hz will be more important, while for photo/video work resolution and colour space will be more important. I think the Dell XPS 15 with the FHD display is probably your best bet.

Here's one available in SA (but with 8GB of ram and a bit over your budget). It'll be fine for gaming, but not for 4/5 years.
Photo and Video editing is my priority at the moment, but I'd also like to get some gaming out of it. Thanks for the link, It looks perfect for my needs and I'm sure I'll still be able to game with it for a few years!

Renier01

Here's one:
https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/94521743/Dell+XPS+15+15.6"+Intel+Core+i7+Notebook

They do get a lot more expensive than that depending on what you spec them with but even the entry-level ones are pretty good IMO.

As to gaming - I don't know. I don't game myself. I do a bit of Lightroom, not too intense I'll admit, the rest of my performance requirements come from number-crunching for work and research. The specs of the machine suggest it should do well enough. But I guess it depends on what kind of expectations you have.

Maybe google around for some reviews? YouTube is full of them as well.
Thank you! It looks pretty cool. Would you suggest me going for the 7th gen processor? Or rather spend some more money for the new 8th gen?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thank you! It looks pretty cool. Would you suggest me going for the 7th gen processor? Or rather spend some more money for the new 8th gen?
8th gen. The extra 2 cores of the 8750H with the higher single-core clock make it beat the 7th gen http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/m470418vsm211019 by a ~25% margin (over 50% for mult-core which video/photo editing can take advantage of).

On a laptop, you can't really budget for 4-5 years. At most ~3. The 1060 of the original recommendation should last you that long easily. It also does have TB 3.1, so if needed, you can hook up an external graphics card via it, I expect it to get more popular/cheaper as time goes by, so that might be an option.

ponder

Honorary Master
It also does have TB 3.1, so if needed, you can hook up an external graphics card via it, I expect it to get more popular/cheaper as time goes by, so that might be an option.
At this stage not recommended, performance is lower than with a normal pci card, docks are expensive and rather bulky to cart around. rather save a bit more and get a higher spec laptop. There are quite a few 1060 6gb laptops available in that price range but i'm not sure about the display quality.

mr_norris

Expert Member
As someone with a laptop that has a 980M, I think a 1060 should be fine (not perfect). I've had it for two years and a bit now, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. The only exception is No Mans Sky - for some reason it brings my laptop to its knees. There was a point where I was going to sell it to fund an upgrade, but I changed my mind. I'm still quite happy with it, even though it's rather dated now. I use it every day (mainly for studying though).

As time goes on, you'll have to sacrifice more of the prettiness settings to hit 60FPS, and then one day the goal will change from 60FPS to 30. And so on. Sacrifices like that is what buying a gaming laptop is about really.

CPU wise, I have an i7 6700HQ, which is rather dated now. The only thing that's made it crumble is building something in Unreal Engine 4. Other than that, it's been OK.

If I were buying now, I'd definitely do what I could to go 8th gen i7, and get a 1070. In the long term, the GPU will suffer the worst when it comes to performance. Rather get something OP now while you can. If money were an issue, I'd settle for a 1060 though.

Renier01

As someone with a laptop that has a 980M, I think a 1060 should be fine (not perfect). I've had it for two years and a bit now, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. The only exception is No Mans Sky - for some reason it brings my laptop to its knees. There was a point where I was going to sell it to fund an upgrade, but I changed my mind. I'm still quite happy with it, even though it's rather dated now. I use it every day (mainly for studying though).

As time goes on, you'll have to sacrifice more of the prettiness settings to hit 60FPS, and then one day the goal will change from 60FPS to 30. And so on. Sacrifices like that is what buying a gaming laptop is about really.

CPU wise, I have an i7 6700HQ, which is rather dated now. The only thing that's made it crumble is building something in Unreal Engine 4. Other than that, it's been OK.

If I were buying now, I'd definitely do what I could to go 8th gen i7, and get a 1070. In the long term, the GPU will suffer the worst when it comes to performance. Rather get something OP now while you can. If money were an issue, I'd settle for a 1060 though.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for an affordable laptop with 8th Gen and a 1070. Apparently there are some rumors around Nvidia releasing a new generation cards later this year. Do you think I should wait for those cards to be released? I'm sure it will be a while for those cards to be available on a laptop though?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
At this stage not recommended, performance is lower than with a normal pci card, docks are expensive and rather bulky to cart around. rather save a bit more and get a higher spec laptop. There are quite a few 1060 6gb laptops available in that price range but i'm not sure about the display quality.
Yeah, that's why I said not now. :p

The price difference for 1060 to 1070 isn't worth it currently though, and he should plan that the laptop will not be able to play everything on high in 3 years, though he might get lucky.

No Mans Sky was terrible optimized, even lagged on my R9 280X. Friend randomly spun it up a month ago on his 270X, it runs a lot better now.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for an affordable laptop with 8th Gen and a 1070. Apparently there are some rumors around Nvidia releasing a new generation cards later this year. Do you think I should wait for those cards to be released? I'm sure it will be a while for those cards to be available on a laptop though?
It will take quite a while to trickle down, if you need the laptop within half a year, no point in waiting.

mr_norris

Expert Member
If new cards to come out, I'm sure you'll eventually see mobile variants popping up on laptops. But I think it'll take months.

I got my laptop in March 2016, 10 series GTX's came out in June, and the mobile variants only came months after that (to SA anyway). I think you're in it for the long haul if you decide to wait.

Hey man,

I’ve sent you a PM, I can assist you with a machine no problem at all :D

Also in the dealers section I have plenty machines available.

Flash