Best alternative for Telkom if you require data for a small business

prejoh

Hi all

Please can you assist me? My mother owns a business and has just moved to a new address in van Riebeeckshof, Bellville.
When we tried to get an ADSL line we were notified that there are no ports available on the exchange and they guesstimate that we can get an ADSL line in July.

The problem is that as a business you cannot wait until July for internet access.

My question is what is the best alternative for data access that comes as close to mimicing ADSL.

The requirements are that the connection must be shared with wifi. i.e. possible 3G dongle plugged into router.
Stable connection with good speed.
Between 2 to 5 GB a month.
Preferably month to month (so we cancel it when we get access to ADSL port)

They do not have a phone line yet, but looking at getting Telkom line for voice calls.

Some options I have looked at is:
1. The 2GB Smartdata prepaid contract deal from Cell C at 1299 (12 months)
http://www.cellc.co.za/data-prepaid-packages

2. 8TA does not seem as an option as we just fall outside their coverage area.

3. Neotel Neoconnect Home Plus or Home Executive
The problem is I cannot find anywhere on there website what the download and upload speeds are
http://www.neotel.co.za/wps/portal/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gL52AnczcPIwMLMw9DA0_vAB9_M2NjY_dQU_2CbEdFAF-0Wos!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=#

Would appreciate any advice as I am trying to ensure that the connection is stable and works well.

Regards

Johan

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Go for CellC. Use a prepaid SIM for the first two months or so, then plonk down the R1299.

You can also get an 8ta prepaid SIM and try it out.

As for Neotel, I won't worry about them, their lack of va-va-voom makes them the stuff of nightmares. Avoid them.

MickeyD

RIP
Was it specified that it was for Business ADSL? Telkom normally reserve a few ports for business requests.

prejoh

Was it specified that it was for Business ADSL? Telkom normally reserve a few ports for business requests.
Hi

Yes it was specified for business, I was hoping that it would also have done the trick ;)

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you are going the 3G route then it certainly would be a good idea to test speeds in your area on a pre-paid SIM before committing to anything. You could also look around for a reliable WISP. A friend has been using: www.kawuleza.com for over a year now and he's had good service.

Last edited:

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
And don't forget iBurst. You may have good coverage, ask for one of their reps to come out for a site test.

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi There,
I would try all of the above.
The MTN data offer at the moment is also a good one to look at. iBurst I would also give a go to.

I would also go into the local Telkom shop and discuss the applicatin. If you get the same response then a phrase such as "Well I appreciate that you are not able to help me at the moment. I have been approached by other providers so it looks like, as you are not able to assist, I will have to commit my long term business to one of your competitors."

It may get them looking at what they can do before July.

However on these pages we often hear stories of congested exchanges in the area so they may in fact not be able to do anything.

Regards

Tim

krieg

I'm on the Cell C 5+15Gig contract for R189/month. It's a 12 month contract. Might be worth a look. Test coverage/performance on prepaid first.

grim

Expert Member
Iburst if you have good coverage, no need to sign contracts with them