Best and cheapest processor to get in the market now?

donnybrasco

Hi,

I am building a PC and would like to purchase a processor but presently I am a bit confused with what the best processor and am hoping someone can explain the variances. I have heard of i3, i5, and of course i7, but would like to know what the performance of these are compared to the Quad Core Processor. All I know is that i7 is the best processor on the market today. My budget is around 1,6 and want to get the best off this, what is the best option for me to take?>:erm:

And just another question, what kind of motherboard would i need,a good one about 600-1k?

Archer

Honorary Master
At that price you will have to do some shopping around and get either:
i5 750/760 with a really low end 1156 motherboard
Phenom 955/965 with a near to low end motherboard
What RAM you going to be using?

Osiris85

Hi,

I am building a PC and would like to purchase a processor but presently I am a bit confused with what the best processor and am hoping someone can explain the variances. I have heard of i3, i5, and of course i7, but would like to know what the performance of these are compared to the Quad Core Processor. All I know is that i7 is the best processor on the market today. My budget is around 1,6 and want to get the best off this, what is the best option for me to take?>:erm:

And just another question, what kind of motherboard would i need,a good one about 600-1k?

Here is a site where you can compare CPU's and benchmark them :D

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=118

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
lol Osiris.. You flogging that anand :p
I think the i3 530 fits into the "best and cheapest". Also what is the general use of the machine?

To break it down:
i3 5xx -> Dual core + HyperThreading (HT) + onboard graphics
i5 6xx -> Dual core + HT + Turbo boost +onboard graphics
i5 7xx -> Quad core + Turbo boost
i7 9xx -> Quad core + HT + Turbo boost (there are hex core as well)

Osiris85

I think the i3 530 fits into the "best and cheapest". Also what is the general use of the machine?

To break it down:

Heheheh, I know. I had a thread asking something similar and gave me this link. I found it very useful :D

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep

To break it down:

+1.

donnybrasco

I generally want to use the PC for gaming,such and programming, and know such programs as Visual Studio 2010 and Expression Blend 4 require good performance. I want add DDR 2 or 3 --4Gb, what's the difference anyway?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Well some platforms require DDR 2 some require DDR3, DDR3 is newer, faster and uses less power. I agree a Core i3 530 is the best bang for buck.

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
I would say i5 750 as for games it's awesome and programming if you use threads, alot It's nice to see them at work :) but thats just me.. but if it stretches your budget to much, get an i3 530 with a decent graphics card :)