Best and worst banks in SA

Tinuva

The Magician
Great article, the first one comparing the banks that I actually find useful, and agree with. Sample was small'ish but the results seem mostly correct.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Glad to see Capitec doing so well.

Not sure why they scored so bad in regards to ATM's, most probably due to uninformed clients i.e. if you take all the retails outlets etc.. into account then I think Capitec might have more places to draw money than the others. Also, what they charge to draw from another ATM is less than the SASWITCH fees the other banks nail you with so essentially any ATM is a Capitec ATM if you think of it.

Doubt Capitec will ever be among the top three but I think they are just what our banking sector needed to shake things up a bit.

Munch

Glad to see Capitec doing so well.

Not sure why they scored so bad in regards to ATM's, most probably due to uninformed clients i.e. if you take all the retails outlets etc.. into account then I think Capitec might have more places to draw money than the others. Also, what they charge to draw from another ATM is less than the SASWITCH fees the other banks nail you with so essentially any ATM is a Capitec ATM if you think of it.
Agreed I pay half the atm fee's I used to pay using the exact same ABSA atm's than I did when I was an ABSA client. However now I have a much greater choice of atm's. And if I am really stingy I can use a captitec atm for another price halving or till points for even further savings.

Maybe people are confused by the different atm interfaces but I agree that people are probably just uninformed.

Greggle

If they had included me in the sample, Nedbank would have had a negative million trillion % change from last year! Their branch service seriously sucks!

hackerjargon

There is an Android app for Capitec on the google Playstore, haven't used it. So not sure if this is a legitimate app or not, but if it is, not sure why they say that Capitec doesn't offer a banking app. I need to visit a Capitec branch tomorrow and will query them on this.

jambai

Shows what happens to ABSA when you put a political ceo in Maria Ramos ,rather than a person with relevant experience in banking and not just some experience in selling assets to look good like she did at Transnet.Surely a lesson for all to see.

Ecco

Executive Member
Shows what happens to ABSA when you put a political ceo in Maria Ramos ,rather than a person with relevant experience in banking and not just some experience in selling assets to look good like she did at Transnet.Surely a lesson for all to see.
They were just as crap before Ramos

MKFrost

Expert Member
There is an Android app for Capitec on the google Playstore, haven't used it. So not sure if this is a legitimate app or not, but if it is, not sure why they say that Capitec doesn't offer a banking app. I need to visit a Capitec branch tomorrow and will query them on this.
Its not an app but rather a token i.e. it authenticates your online sessions and when you make payments etc... So not in itself an app you can do banking with on it own. Its just a verification tool for the normal online banking.

Billy

Expert Member
I can't speak to Capitec, but the order of the other banks looks right in my experience.

However it should be pointed out that Capitec does not offer all the services offered by the other banks.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Great article, the first one comparing the banks that I actually find useful, and agree with. Sample was small'ish but the results seem mostly correct.
My feeling as well. I bank with FNB and I am very happy with them. They really go out of their way to look after their customers. Capitec caters for a different market than my needs.

jambai

They were just as crap before Ramos
Agree ,but they have got worse under Ramos as she is not the right ceo just a political appointment .If they had a better ceo they might be in better position.

entrepr

Expert Member
Capitec's growth has been phenomenal and shows that good old fashioned attention to the customer pays off. I'm a bit lazy to switch but definitely encouraging my kids to look into it.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Capitec has got to be one of the most racist of these banks and I thought ABSA was bad but Capitec made ABSA seem like childsplay when I had to endure their racism at their Braamfontein branch.
Then I just took one "****-it-all" pill and withdrew my entire investment and took it to Nedbank where they actually treat me like money and not a colour. Still have their "one account" but only because it was a struggle to close.

Last edited:

fingerprintz.mgr

Capitec has got to be one of the most racist of these banks and I thought ABSA was bad but Capitec made ABSA seem like childsplay when I had to endure their racism at their Braamfontein branch.
Then I just took one "****-it-all" pill and withdrew my entire investment and took it to Nedbank where they actually treat me like money and not a colour. Still have their "one account" but only because it was a struggle to close.
Really? That's no good. I've had great service from Capitec branches in Pavillion and Pinetown. They are always friendly and helpful.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Lulz!
Capitec has got to be the best bank! Next in line I'd say is Fnb. Capitec need to sort out their atm's and Internet banking, maybe get a banking app out. I love the token feature for Internet banking, no more stupid OTPs. Apparently Capitec is closing down atm's in an effort to make people withdraw at tills or swipe which is free!

My branch is very helpful for anything I might query and the call centre is superb! I don't I waited more than 2 minutes for a consultant.

Lasting having 2 different accounts means, I can transfer to the account that's linked to my card when I need it, that's fraud prevention.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Really? That's no good. I've had great service from Capitec branches in Pavillion and Pinetown. They are always friendly and helpful.
Lulz!
Capitec has got to be the best bank! Next in line I'd say is Fnb. Capitec need to sort out their atm's and Internet banking, maybe get a banking app out. I love the token feature for Internet banking, no more stupid OTPs. Apparently Capitec is closing down atm's in an effort to make people withdraw at tills or swipe which is free!

My branch is very helpful for anything I might query and the call centre is superb! I don't I waited more than 2 minutes for a consultant.

Lasting having 2 different accounts means, I can transfer to the account that's linked to my card when I need it, that's fraud prevention.
Maybe they have somehow changed over the years in that branch (my experience with them began and ended about two years back). Going back to them in the future might be possible at a different Capitec branch and for small amounts of cash, but the incident happened with my wife and me together at that one branch and I have somehow struggled to shake a thing like that.