Best and worst cellphone contract cancellation fees in South Africa

Jola

Honorary Master
This is one of the reasons why I have been on dual sim prepaid phones for many years.

I currently use a S7 edge Duos.

signeffex

Hi

I used to work for Cell C about a year ago.
At the time, when cancelling a contract, the ONLY fee you pay is the handset portion for the remaining months.
No penalties, no cancellation fee.
One months notice.
I know this as a fact!
You can pm me and ill put you in touch with a guy that knows a lot about this.

Absinth

I might be wrong, but this is how I understand it…

Your cancelation fee comprises of the following components:
1. Cannot resell – typically a device/hardware – the customer needs to pay outstanding amount not recovered yet on this device.
2. Can resell – Your minutes and data not used yet. Ideally they only need to charge you for what you used. The rest they can resell.
3. Admin fee – The service provider needs to appoint someone to process the cancellation, and this is where the “grey” area is.

Swa

Honorary Master
This is BS, handsets skews the results. Cell C charges no cancellation fee provided you give 1 month notice and only the outstanding amount you owe on the device you bought so they are 1st. MTN charges an additional 1 month during which you also can't use the service. Not sure what Telkom charges but I'd put them 3rd or 2nd. Vodacom charges you 75% irrespective of the device you have.

falcon786

Executive Member
Question is, are any of those legal?
Cell C's way is definitely legal and so is MTN and Telkom's,however Vodacom's way is suspect and may not comply with CPA.

The other 3 networks way makes sense as far as being fair to themselves and the consumer as they are just recovering their handset value and one month cancellation notice at best,while Cell C even waives the latter.

milomak

Honorary Master
they should surely spell out what portion of the cancellation is based on the cost of the device and how they have determined that