Best and worst fixed broadband services in South Africa

drukkie

Expert Member
I'm guessing the up and down is a sore out of 10 and not the actual speed :)

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
:wtf: Someone scored worse than Telkom on service?! You have my sympathy.

Anyway, how many of those are really competitors for ADSL? Half are wireless and all are more expensive per GB. I mean, Neotel fibre sounds great, but Telkom's 4Mbps ADSL Uncapped is R548 while Neotel's 5Mbps is R5814. Yes, I'm fully aware that they are very different, but should you really compare Ferraris to Hyundais, especially since you don't mention price?

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
:wtf: Someone scored worse than Telkom on service?! You have my sympathy./QUOTE]

Telkom's service has been great IMO.

Then we've been dealing with different companies. Telkom's service has been beyond abysmal for my lines lately; faults that stay in their queue for weeks, then don't get fixed, billing errors that nobody can fix, call centre agents lying to me. The list goes on.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I am not surprised by the low ratings of the 4Mpbs accounts. The problem is the incessant shaping during the day. I have a high end account but I can hardly use it during the day (even for normal browsing) because of the heavy shaping. I only keep it because it is unshaped after hours. This result in poor user experience hence poor ratings. I am sick of this shaping!!!!

LPCPT

There's just too many middle-men in the whole provisioning of broadband. Networks sell to ISP's and ISP's sell to consumers (Telkom route). Now if the ISP does not have enough capacity the the consumers suffer. Does not matter how much capacity is available on the network.
Now with the mobile operators it's different. They sell directly to consumers what they have available. Is this the reason why mobile is getting better by the day and fixed lines becomes worse?
Telkom should just be one company (merge Network, TI and mobile). If one division subsidises another, so be it. All we need is a regulator to fix prices. The mobile operators and I guess Neotel, do it so why not let Telkom do it also. In the short term, this will support expansion and re-investing.
Those others who want to provide broadband must lease networks or build their own.