Best and worst Internet service providers in South Africa

cavedog

Honorary Master
Supersonic. Never heard of them. Sounds like a Freddy Mercury song.

Well Supersonic actually does the on site installation and use mybroadband speedtest to confirm speeds and diagnose issues so they are a real contender. The amount of facebook ads I've seen for SuperSonic is just unreal. BTW it's MTN Super Sonic.

supersonic_st.png

Dan C

Honorary Master
Well Supersonic actually does the on site installation and use mybroadband speedtest to confirm speeds and diagnose issues so they are a real contender. The amount of facebook ads I've seen for SuperSonic is just unreal. BTW it's MTN Super Sonic.

View attachment 599202
I don't have faecas book

rogerwe

I see WebAfrica didn’t make the list, was keen to see how much they rate compare to others because a friend of mine has had endless account issues.

She had them them upgrade from ADSL to Fibre, yet they keep on charging her for both services to the same household. The call center number just puts you on hold for almost an hour, so even after speaking to WebAfrica in person at their office in Cape Town, they are still charging for an ADSL service she has cancelled.

Eat my shorts

I see WebAfrica didn’t make the list, was keen to see how much they rate compare to others because a friend of mine has had endless account issues.

She had them them upgrade from ADSL to Fibre, yet they keep on charging her for both services to the same household. The call center number just puts you on hold for almost an hour, so even after speaking to WebAfrica in person at their office in Cape Town, they are still charging for an ADSL service she has cancelled.

Internet Solutions = Webafrica

Eat my shorts

Bios test. Doesn't account to what line speed the customer is paying for versus average speed and customer volume.
10000 customers 10meg download
Versus
10 customers 200meg lines.

Incomplete tests

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I feel bad for Cool Ideas. The vast majority of their customer complaints seem to be fibre infrastructure issues they have little to no control over.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Bios test. Doesn't account to what line speed the customer is paying for versus average speed and customer volume.
Versus

Incomplete tests

*biased - and no, this test ins't seeing as these results came from users that are using the services in the wild.

Changing the amount of subscribers will likely have an effect, but I'm sure CI and the like will adapt.

utopian

No surprise whatsoever to see Telkom languishing at the bottom. Their service is absolute dog sh*t

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Versus

Incomplete tests
Not booting?

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Telkom is a lot higher up the rankings than I expected it would be.
Why they bother, or even exist is anybody's guess.

Neil Crawford

What a meaningless and misleading report.
Any ISP who has ordinary customers who can't afford "top of the range" service, or who include ADSL in their product range to cover areas where there is no fibre available, will get punished and pushed down the ranking.
My ISP (Afrihost) provides excellent support, but my speed is restricted - not by choice - to what Telkom offers on my ADSL copper connection - 4Mbps (only!).
This is like ranking motor dealers - best to worst!! - based on the average top speed of the cars they sell!

User217

Is there something like a "good" service provider? I have been checking Hello Peter and the issues people have there are the same, no matter what ISP they choose. I have come to believe that the "good" ISP story is a mith... does not exist! It's more a question about finding the ISP that suits your needs. That is why some people have no problems with their ISP's while someone else will complain bitterly about the same ISP. I am not referring to the Great Evil (Telkom) here. They are just bad to the bone! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Half of the people commenting here did not even read the article by the looks of it.

They clearly say in the article that the download and upload speed should not be considered the networks performance or capabilities.

When you do a speedtest on the mybb speedtest page. There are 5 stars right? So when I have a 4Mbps and always max my line I vote 5 stars. When I have a 100Mbps fibre line and always get like 40Mbps I will probably vote 1 or 2 stars.

This list is clearly compiled by what the people rated their speedtests at and so the uplpad and download is irrelevant.

Telkom is last because everyone votes 1 star. Supersonic is number 1 because everyone probably voted 5 or 4 stars.

Not sure why everyone is going crazy saying it's fake or false results. Speedtest.net does the same. You click star rating out of 5 when you done with your speedtest.