Best and worst ISPs in South Africa - Fibre, ADSL, and fixed-LTE

cavedog

Honorary Master
Cool Ideas took quite a dip. I mainly use Supersonic 200Mbps fibre and having dealt with both support is okay but still always an issue with all ISPs. As for the actual fibre product. Perfection on all levels

envo

Expert Member
Notice how absent Web Africa is from the list? More than likely because they're so **** they didn't even get out of the starting blocks. (yea I know they use I.S, but 3rd from the bottom isn't much of a brag either)

disiza

Use it, dont use it....check out Wirulink they are not a powerhouse in the Fibre sell your soul market, but they are pretty respectable, Installation management, setup,price and general communication very good(not the cheapest), been with them for about 7 months and I've had no issues, my fibre connection just works. However when it comes to dynamic and out the box thinking Cool Ideas pulls a rabbit out of the hat every once and while; eg SA Ingest server for Twitch!

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Telkom at the bottom - the one with probably the largest budget to fine tune their services.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Notice how absent Web Africa is from the list? More than likely because they're so **** they didn't even get out of the starting blocks. (yea I know they use I.S, but 3rd from the bottom isn't much of a brag either)

Not a very proud moment for IS...

envo

Expert Member
I would *love* if Mybroadband started analyzing, not just speed, but also service levels of ISP's

It might be difficult, but you have a forum filled with ISP's and representatives that could very much help give you some data points to work off of (not to mention HelloPeter), to gauge overall service levels.

i.e, how fast they respond to a complaint, if they sort out that complaint or take it to private message etc.

I have had insanely horrible customer service from Web Africa, a company I've referred people to since 2007 and whom I've been hoping that their support levels would increase with positive feedback, instead, it severely declined.

A poll, or a survey etc would be nice to add on to your speed tests. Just to gauge, not only speed, but service levels. You would be doing the South African public a service, and force ISP's who has become too big for their britches, to re-look at social media, good customer service and attention to detail.

As an example, I had an open ticket, ask me if everything is ok or if I need assistance, immediately closed... this is after I replied within 5 minutes of receiving the response.

Yes, call center/support agents would play to the "time to resolve" on the clock to get that down nice and low, but it still doesn't address the problem or fixes it.

It's like going through a McDonald's drive-thru, and they ask you to park when you ordered 2 meals. They have a timer to say "this is how long this customer should wait, and if you go over, we warn you / disciplinary / retrain", instead of actually providing good service, they make you park, which resets the timer for the next person, giving management the idea that everything is running fine, which it is not.

There used to be a time where Matt and/or Rupert would respond and fix things, Web Africa bleeding talent like Jeremy as well, leaving because the beast has got out of control.

The only way to fix this is by accountability. As easy as that. And I feel mybb could hold ISP's accountable for the deplorable practices and shitty customer support, while just deducting Rand after Rand after Rand without fixing the issues at hand.

richjdavies

Expert Member
Cyber smart... Aish been waiting more than 4 months for ANY progress at our business park. Supposedly it's Light speed, but no good if you can't actually get a connection!

There are more than 1 provider like this. May be fine once it's up and running but you have to hunt down and pester to actually get a connection! (Here's looking at your century city connect!!)