Best and worst online shops in South Africa

elvis_presley

Expert Member
This article looks like it was written by a teenager for a school project. My rating? 3/10 :)

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Was it the repeated "in our opinion" or "broad range of products" that swayed your opinion?
In my opinion it was more about the random selection of on-line stores. But hey that's just my opinion so...

Anakha56

Surprised not see Orange in this list... Their Facebook page is littered with complaints.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
In my opinion it was more about the random selection of on-line stores. But hey that's just my opinion so...
Well the general consensus on the forum is that Takelot is good. A lot of people like Kalahari. YuppieChef did win an online retailer award a year or two ago. The rest are the only other high profile ones left I suppose (except for Orange with their great prices, great site and horrendous delivery times)

AdrianH

Expert Member
I find DionWired pretty good. Once I ordered an external hard-drive around 10am. When I arrived at work the following day at 8am, it had already been delivered.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I find DionWired pretty good. Once I ordered an external hard-drive around 10am. When I arrived at work the following day at 8am, it had already been delivered.
+1

This true actually. I bought a wireless drive from them on black Friday afternoon nd it was delivered early on Monday. Only shopped there once but would definitely do it again.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I was surprised by how many online clothing stores there are....who are all these regularly-shaped people that can buy clothes online with confidence? Because I hate you :p

Bighit

Expert Member
DionWired deserves another mention. Makro on the other hand received a spot on review.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Was it the repeated "in our opinion" or "broad range of products" that swayed your opinion?
Hehe... those were indeed highlights, but what actually had me laughing was the way every article started with the exact words of the heading. The mark of a true amateur.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Lol! Red Square and Boardmans belong to Edcon. They have no clue how to run an online store it seems.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
This article looks like it was written by a teenager for a school project. My rating? 3/10 :)
Ed Zachery. So where is the worst? That might be the worst of the best, but definitely not a list of worst online shops. Bad piece of investigative journalism, and I use those words lightly.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Poorly researched and written and some of the less known, but with better service than the top brands have not been mentioned:
- Dionwired has excellent after sales service (try and get a return processed by Takealot or Kalahari - especially when it has to go back and forth between them and Rectron)
- Loot has oftentimes the best pricing. Loot dominates in books and especially online arts & crafts
- Raru should not be forgotten it has gained a strong following
- No HomeChoice (you will be surprised - hardly ever heard of but huge customer base)
- No BTGames?
- No Mantality?

TBH, the writer has done a poorly rehashed version of http://www.ecommerceawards.co.za/2014-winners/ and missed most of the important players - just because a company made headlines this past year, does not necessarily mean that it is the best, there are many niche-players which do a fantastic job and hardly ever make the news (or appear on HelloPeter). A true review of an ecommerce site consists of running through a number of test cases (including how the returns- and refund process works) and not just about the website experience.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Poorly researched and written and some of the less known, but with better service than the top brands have not been mentioned:
- Dionwired has excellent after sales service (try and get a return processed by Takealot or Kalahari - especially when it has to go back and forth between them and Rectron)
- Loot has oftentimes the best pricing. Loot dominates in books and especially online arts & crafts
- Raru should not be forgotten it has gained a strong following
- No HomeChoice (you will be surprised - hardly ever heard of but huge customer base)
- No BTGames?
- No Mantality?

TBH, the writer has done a poorly rehashed version of http://www.ecommerceawards.co.za/2014-winners/ and missed most of the important players - just because a company made headlines this past year, does not necessarily mean that it is the best, there are many niche-players which do a fantastic job and hardly ever make the news (or appear on HelloPeter). A true review of an ecommerce site consists of running through a number of test cases (including how the returns- and refund process works) and not just about the website experience.
...and where is Bid or Buy? :whistling: