Best "backup" fiber ISP that isn't Cool Ideas (which is great just btw)

zolly

Expert Member
Hey everyone,

So my sister has moved down the road from us and while I am extremely happy with Cool Ideas, I am considering getting her a different ISP for the very rare occasion that CI has issues, so that we are on separate providers and can pop over to use each other's wifi. What ISP would you recommend for Cape Town?

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Down the road? I would think that the Fibre Provider would be the same, so another SP would be pointless.

The problem is normally at the physical layer, with CISP they had a router issue 2 years ago, and it were sorted in a very short time.

Maybe try Afrihost, I like their management portal.

AsianSpaceman

I'm only with CI for a few months now but the only issue I had was when it was due to the fibre provider. Even though the issue with the fibre provider i believe was limited to CI clients, the actual issue was still the fibre provider and not CI.

blunt

Expert Member
Assuming you're on OpenServe I'd say get the free 20gig account from Cybersmart
then you can just swap your pppoe.. but if you can't then I'd recommend afrihost - been very happy with them for over a year now.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Why not go with what you know works and have a VPN backup?

Thats what i got, if they have issues internationally got a JHB VPN to go via and if they have a local issue between CT and JHB they generally sort it out very fast.

zolly

Expert Member
Down the road? I would think that the Fibre Provider would be the same, so another SP would be pointless.

The problem is normally at the physical layer, with CISP they had a router issue 2 years ago, and it were sorted in a very short time.

Maybe try Afrihost, I like their management portal.

I've been with CI long enough to know there is the very rare hiccup now and again, and stuck with them through the massive DDoS attacks they experienced as well. With work requiring me to be online for most of the day, and mobile data being as expensive as it is, having a "plan b" with another ISP which runs a different network seems like a good idea.

I was also thinking Afrihost may be a good idea because I may not always be able to provide tech support, and Afrihost may be able to help someone at my sister's level.

zolly

Expert Member
Why not go with what you know works and have a VPN backup?

Thats what i got, if they have issues internationally got a JHB VPN to go via and if they have a local issue between CT and JHB they generally sort it out very fast.

Because when issues do come up VPNs aren't always enough to mitigate the problem.

VanillaBox

Expert Member
I've been with CI long enough to know there is the very rare hiccup now and again, and stuck with them through the massive DDoS attacks they experienced as well. With work requiring me to be online for most of the day, and mobile data being as expensive as it is, having a "plan b" with another ISP which runs a different network seems like a good idea.

I was also thinking Afrihost may be a good idea because I may not always be able to provide tech support, and Afrihost may be able to help someone at my sister's level.
I forgot about the DDOS nonsense... I just switched to MTN when it was a problem.

MraL

Websquad, without a doubt.

As an alternative (if it has to be CPT based):
Vanilla ISP. No mybb presence but they run a great network.
We have a mybb presence :) I think... we just don't deal with trolling very well :) thanks for the recommendation!