Best Brand for Interior/Exterior Painting

JemJem

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some great tried and tested information, which in my opinion is the BEST! No one trying to palm off their products.
So here goes....
What is the best paint brand for exterior walls? Which is the worst paint brand that i need to avoid like a pandemic? I am looking at a green grey (SAGE) colour.

It must have
-good depth of colour,
-easy application,
-must withstand the elements,
-and not fade after 5-7 years.

Anything locally, that is on par with the American paint brand "Sherwin Williams"?
I welcome all comments, as i am eager to find out everything, so please do share!

Thanks in advance.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
is Plascon a better product than, lets say, Dulux and Duram?
Painter we use swears by it so yes. Expensive and hard to paint with if you're not experienced but lasts for yonks and well worth the premium.

SHL

Repainted the house recently with:
Fired Earth (Severe Weather) - Exterior
Dulux (Luxurious Silk) - Interior

Both brands come highly recommended.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Take the one with the longest warranty (15 years ? ) and guaranteed to last.

Also don't go with the cheapest labour.

Roo!

Expert Member
Take the one with the longest warranty (15 years ? ) and guaranteed to last.

Also don't go with the cheapest labour.

You do know that the warranty is only applicable to the shelf life right? Once it's out of the can then the warranty no longer applies.

Umlungu Ingulube

It’s a guarantee and you have to register it.
Dulux colour holds up well but I wouldn’t expect any paint to last 15 years, not even 10 in this harsh sunlight.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Dulux and plascon are both good brands. Application is key. Don’t let the guys spread the paint too thin as this hinders the performance.

also your wall condition does play a roll. Have seen a wall painted with plascon wall seal (good exterior) and then the paint could be peaked off like an entire sheet of wall paper which had not been glued on properly. This was due to prep work. However the paint was quite flexible and did not crack or tear easily which speaks to how good it actually does it’s jobs in terms of sealing and not cracking.

interior... double velvet has been mentioned. Very good paint. Personally I think you can get away with some cheaper paints when doing the interior. Just ensure the prep work is done properly.

also a good paint can be done badly whereas a cheaper paint can be done properly and last a long time.
Paint also depends on the finish you’re looking for which is a deciding factor for the type of paint you choose. Do yourself a favour and grab some of the plascon and Duran paint flyers at your local builders. These will explain the difference as to when and where people would use certain paints based on their properties and finish. Then decide.
Alternatively go to their websites and read this as well, I just prefer having the physical reading material with pictures haha. I also hand these to some of my clients before hand as to help them decide on type of paint.

PS if you’re doing wood trims and have decided on velvaglo. Try and look for the older drums of paint and try to skip the newer black branded drums. I’m not a fan of these as their finish and quality does not seem to be of the same standard. Guy at the paint shop has mentioned recipe changes since the rebranding and that a lot of complaints came with it.

JemJem

Dulux and plascon are both good brands. Application is key. Don’t let the guys spread the paint too thin as this hinders the performance.

also your wall condition does play a roll. Have seen a wall painted with plascon wall seal (good exterior) and then the paint could be peaked off like an entire sheet of wall paper which had not been glued on properly. This was due to prep work. However the paint was quite flexible and did not crack or tear easily which speaks to how good it actually does it’s jobs in terms of sealing and not cracking.

interior... double velvet has been mentioned. Very good paint. Personally I think you can get away with some cheaper paints when doing the interior. Just ensure the prep work is done properly.

also a good paint can be done badly whereas a cheaper paint can be done properly and last a long time.
Paint also depends on the finish you’re looking for which is a deciding factor for the type of paint you choose. Do yourself a favour and grab some of the plascon and Duran paint flyers at your local builders. These will explain the difference as to when and where people would use certain paints based on their properties and finish. Then decide.
Alternatively go to their websites and read this as well, I just prefer having the physical reading material with pictures haha. I also hand these to some of my clients before hand as to help them decide on type of paint.

PS if you’re doing wood trims and have decided on velvaglo. Try and look for the older drums of paint and try to skip the newer black branded drums. I’m not a fan of these as their finish and quality does not seem to be of the same standard. Guy at the paint shop has mentioned recipe changes since the rebranding and that a lot of complaints came with it.
Thanks for the indepth info!

JemJem

Thanks for the indepth info!
going to open up a new thread, which i don't think has been done before.

"Help me decide what colour combination to paint our new house". #watch this space

JemJem

NEW THREAD if you guys want to help me...