Best Coffee Subscriptions in SA?

zs-kev

Genuine question: why? What are the reasons to prefer a subscription over just shopping for and making your own choice of coffee(s) as you go along?
In my case, there are a few reasons, one being that I dont have to do all the searching for all these places, I can leave it up to where I am signed up to do the searching for me. The other reason is cost...if I want to get a variety of coffees each month, then I can buy from lots of shops, but I will have to pay shipping on each of them, so getting a variety bundled saves in terms of shipping costs. The other reason is convince, I get coffee delivered on a scheduled bases without me having to go to each store every time I want to get beans....they just arrive.

Thats the way I see it and why I am looking for subscription service.

After doing a bit of calculations, 250g bags in my house will last about 3 to 4 days, which is not long, so non of these subscription services will actually carry me through a month, so I will have to supplement with buying directly from some roasters as well...to tie me over.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Quite a few options but I decided to look for roasters in my area.

I am the only one at home drinking the good coffee and one cup a day as well. So I am rather going to drive to the 4/5 roasters around me and collect than pay R80 per pop for a bag every 2 weeks.

RedViking

Nord of the South

KantSnyer

Expert Member
Quite a few options but I decided to look for roasters in my area.

I am the only one at home drinking the good coffee and one cup a day as well. So I am rather going to drive to the 4/5 roasters around me and collect than pay R80 per pop for a bag every 2 weeks.
Can recommend Heavenly Coffees in Hennopspark and the box deal from Pierre Lotti is great value with free delivery, both roast fantastic coffee.

Vetseun

THey big on branding and advertising. Have only had their coffee at The Barn Owl in midlands. No idea what the quality or source of the beans are.
I did a bit of digging - they won coffee mag's best new roaster in 2019 - so been around for a bit it seems. They also seem to provide a lot of information about the coffee provided and have have a pretty broad range... so gonna give it a test and see.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I did a bit of digging - they won coffee mag's best new roaster in 2019 - so been around for a bit it seems. They also seem to provide a lot of information about the coffee provided and have have a pretty broad range... so gonna give it a test and see.
They have been around for a little while yes. I really think it is worth the try. But I know branding and advertising cost money, and they go big on it. So you pay for that as well.

Culinary Master

I use Culinary Table in Lanseria, they have a deli with a range of single-origin coffee beans in 250g to 1kg bags, plus they roast their coffee beans on their premises - so you get them fresh!!

zs-kev

So I decided to give Discover Great Coffee Club a try, and boy do I regret it now! I ordered yesterday and got it today, so shipping was super fast, but opened the box to find that all the coffees were roasted in March, with the one bag saying best before 21 June 2021 (Lat week Monday). This is appalling! All the beans are just over 3 months old! Wont be buying anything from them or coffee magazine again.

Snyper564

Executive Member
So I decided to give Discover Great Coffee Club a try, and boy do I regret it now! I ordered yesterday and got it today, so shipping was super fast, but opened the box to find that all the coffees were roasted in March, with the one bag saying best before 21 June 2021 (Lat week Monday). This is appalling! All the beans are just over 3 months old! Wont be buying anything from them or coffee magazine again.
call and complain thats unacceptable

wonduhboy

Exactly the same happened to me. And only 1 of the six bags was near drinkable...
I emailed to complain and their response was basically "we put all the coffee in the deep-freeze, so it it's still fresh, here's the link to an article"
What a waste of money

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I dont get why anyone would want a subscription service, the coffee you get is never going to be as fresh as picking it up from your local roaster.
Get to know your local and only buy as much as you will use within a 15-20 day period.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Exactly the same happened to me. And only 1 of the six bags was near drinkable...
I emailed to complain and their response was basically "we put all the coffee in the deep-freeze, so it it's still fresh, here's the link to an article"
What a waste of money
Sies man!!!

chrisc

Executive Member
My biggest gripe with Quaffee is their horrible packaging. So the coffee deteriorate within a couple of weeks only. They just chuck their beans in a "ziplock" bag, place it in a carton box and send it off to you.
Yes, I decant the beans into 2 x 1 litre jars

zs-kev

Got a response, and it seems a copy paste as @wonduhboy claims he got the same, here it is:

Hi Kevin!

Sorry you’re disappointed and thanks for getting in touch, we’re always open to feedback.

We order the coffees at one time for logistical and cost purposes, then we follow our own(and international coffee professionals) advice (Freezing Coffee https://www.coffeemagazine.co.za/blog/1/5858/frozen-in-time-putting-an-end-to-stale-coffee) and keep the groups of 6 coffees in vacuum sealed bags in the deep freeze to retain freshness until a once off order is placed (most are annual subs that get sent off straight away). When our new drop is about to arrive we generally have a sale to clear the freezer of the previous drop. We will include this info if we have Sales in future to avoid this confusion.

We opened the Roasters Mug yesterday in our office and it made a great cappuccino. We would encourage you to try the coffees, as conventional wisdom around freshness is always evolving and while we will always encourage people to buy fresh from their local roasters, we also encourage people to be open minded; I once brewed a very poorly stored year old coffee and it was still one of the tastiest coffees I’ve ever had! I was so pleasantly surprised.

Have a great day!

Wont ever buy from them again.