Best compact camera for vlogging?

seanyp00h

Expert Member
Hey All,

I'm looking for some guidance with regards to a compact 1080p camera to be used mainly for video recording and vlogging. So the sound would also need to be decent and it would need to be wide angle. Price range shouldn't be too high as I would be willing to invest if this does take off.

Does anybody have any ideas on what would be best?

Thanks

paul5186

Expert Member
Maybe check what the good vloggers use? Usually it is a combination of at least two.

garyc

Expert Member
Digitalrev did a review of the Canon G7X Mk II for vlogging and they seemed to like it. You can see the review on their YouTube channel.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'd get a second hand Canon EOS-M. I've got one now and I use it mainly for video. HDMI out to set up a monitor screen, built-in audio (plus you can install Magic Lantern on it to open up a lot of extra features). Being a canon you can use any of their lenses with an adapter. Makro was selling the off at a couple of grand last year so you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
I'd get a second hand Canon EOS-M. I've got one now and I use it mainly for video. HDMI out to set up a monitor screen, built-in audio (plus you can install Magic Lantern on it to open up a lot of extra features). Being a canon you can use any of their lenses with an adapter. Makro was selling the off at a couple of grand last year so you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

Thanks. Which model though?

*Edit, I see there is just an M model.

Where is a good place to look for second hand cameras?

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thanks. Which model though?

I use the first gen one. For me that's the key since you should be able to pick one up second hand… probably the only way you'll pick one up.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
It's a good camera, wouln't use as a vlogging camera tho.

Audio is a bit "subpar" unless you have a proper mic plugged in, but its a great video cam otherwise.
I get my Z axis for it on Thursday hopefully. Looking forward to doing some test video on the skateboard to/from the office with it.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Audio is a bit "subpar" unless you have a proper mic plugged in, but its a great video cam otherwise.
I get my Z axis for it on Thursday hopefully. Looking forward to doing some test video on the skateboard to/from the office with it.

The only positive is the gimbal, battery life is meh, audio meh. A proper body camera that you can add light/mic is the best.