Best cookies in the world ...ever... since time began...ever...

Hosehead

Executive Member
South African Swiss Chocolate?
No. SA chocolate is mostly rubbish. Swiss as in coverture from Zurich. I'd use an Italian, French or Belgian Coverture but they are not as cost effective as the Swiss by a million miles. 2,5 KG of the Swiss choc is the same price as 10 bars of the Premium stuff on the shop shelves- it's not as pretty or shiny, but it's exactly the same product. Nestle and Hersheys chips don't cut it for me.
Mix with premium SA butter, decent flour, Farm Fresh Organic free range eggs (not done in the US) and Premium sugars you have Chewy Soft Magic Monster cookies.

Last edited:

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Tim Tams?

Pretty much all of them. They used to have quite a range a few years ago but nowadays only seem to have chocolate (original) and double chocolate. Crazy expensive at about R45 a packet but it's not something to eat every day anyways. They are the best cookies ever though, apart from (maybe) petit écoliers.
Tim Tams... they're gross. Come on.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
No. SA chocolate is mostly rubbish. Swiss as in coverture from Zurich. I'd use an Italian, French or Belgian Coverture but they are not as cost effective as the Swiss by a million miles. 2,5 KG of the Swiss choc is the same price as 10 bars of the Premium stuff on the shop shelves- it's not as pretty or shiny, but it's exactly the same product. Nestle and Hersheys chips don't cut it for me.
Mix with premium SA butter, decent flour, Farm Fresh Organic free range eggs (not done in the US) and Premium sugars you have Chewy Soft Magic Monster cookies.
Japanese Pocky beats Swiss. The chocolate is rich and contains little sugar. Even standard Pocky tastes good. But Almond Crush is delicious. :)

Pocky is also sold in Thailand and Europe. It's licensed to LU in Europe. But the taste is different. Only true Japanese Pocky is delicious. :)

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Saying so, Woolworths Chocolate Hazelnut Croquants for R24.99 are delicious. 100g packet each. I once had similar delicious chocolates in Vienna in the 80s. Boy they were good, these things are very close.

Hosehead

Executive Member
Just about anything beats Swiss- but definitely not Pocky. We're talking premium chocolate covertures -Valrhona, Amedei, Callebaut, Sharfen Berger, Veliche, -These are just some of the easier found ones. But in SA kilo for Kilo Lindt and Callebaut are hard to beat.

Hosehead

Executive Member
Japanese Pocky beats Swiss. The chocolate is rich and contains little sugar. Even standard Pocky tastes good. But Almond Crush is delicious. :)

Pocky is also sold in Thailand and Europe. It's licensed to LU in Europe. But the taste is different. Only true Japanese Pocky is delicious. :)

Do you remember when the Chinese made it (like they make all their food including white rabbit sweets, and dogfood with Melamine?) I think it was 5 years ago.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Just about anything beats Swiss- but definitely not Pocky. We're talking premium chocolate covertures -Valrhona, Amedei, Callebaut, Sharfen Berger, Veliche, -These are just some of the easier found ones. But in SA kilo for Kilo Lindt and Callebaut are hard to beat.
Even basic Pocky beats that oversweetend stuff.

Which flavours of Pocky have you had?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Do you remember when the Chinese made it (like they make all their food including white rabbit sweets, and dogfood with Melamine?) I think it was 5 years ago.
Now that tells me you know nothing.

Pocky is made by Eizaki Glico. A JAPANESE company. Japanese have very exclusive tastes in luxury and extremely high food safety standards, higher than EU in many instances.

Pocky "Men's" is dark chocolate Pocky and is quite bitter. Melamine was only found in the Chinese produced variety. It makes sense to be skeptical of anything produced in China, especially if a food product. Most Pocky especially Decorer is made in Japan.

Only worry nowadays is milk contamination with radioactive Cesium from Fukushima. But before that, I regularly imported batches of the stuff and had friends send it to me or bring it along when visiting me.

Last edited:

Hosehead

Executive Member
Now that tells me you know nothing.

You'd be surprised. The chocolate dipped pretzel rod was an idea nicked from the Germans and copied by Ezaki Glico back in the 1960's/70's when Japan was then the world's Plastic and copycat Industrial leader that China is today. The expression "cheap Japanese wind -up toy" stems from that period. Pocky I regard as a Fad food- it's for Asian tastes and has a huge following and I've only ever had the Strawberry. It's not a serious chocolate for the chocolate snob. Anyway now with the radioactive concerns I think a lot more than dairy is at risk.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
You'd be surprised. The chocolate dipped pretzel rod was an idea nicked from the Germans and copied by Ezaki Glico back in the 1960's/70's when Japan was then the world's Plastic and copycat Industrial leader that China is today. The expression "cheap Japanese wind -up toy" stems from that period. Pocky I regard as a Fad food- it's for Asian tastes and has a huge following and I've only ever had the Strawberry. It's not a serious chocolate for the chocolate snob. Anyway now with the radioactive concerns I think a lot more than dairy is at risk.
It's pretty irrelevant where the idea was invented. Secondly what cheap stuff Japanese did before is also irrelevant. It's relevant to point out that while Germans were living in caves or in forests, Japanese had a system of writing, rich traditions and culture. Although it's only relevant in the sense to diffuse your notion German=better. It's not. And heck Japanese mag-lev trains beat German ones, simply because they work despite earthquakes and have had 0 fatalities, and are also faster - but that's also irrelevant. :)

Pocky is delicious chocolate, even the basic varieties. It's not too sweet. The biscuits also good. It's different to all other types of chocolate I've had, even expensive European restaurant types.

Radiation concern is the only worry. Quality of Japanese food products is usually superior to European ones, including German and Swiss. Don't confuse Chinese stuff for Japanese. Please drop your anti-Japanese prejudice or offer proof.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A few bags of nestle chocolate chips (milk and dark chocolate) arrived in the post from the states so I'll be whipping up a batch of the best cookies for the kids to take to school tomorrow. :)

Hosehead

Executive Member
A few bags of nestle chocolate chips (milk and dark chocolate) arrived in the post from the states so I'll be whipping up a batch of the best cookies for the kids to take to school tomorrow. :)
Kids allowed choc chip cookies during school hours:wtf: Our kids lunchboxes get checked and any sweet stuff except fruit gets confiscated as do fizzy drinks and chips (crisps)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Kids allowed choc chip cookies during school hours:wtf: Our kids lunchboxes get checked and any sweet stuff except fruit gets confiscated as do fizzy drinks and chips (crisps)
Yes, a cookie. Big whoop.

As a parent I'd be more :wtf: if the school was rummaging through my kids lunch, determining what they could and could not consume from the mid-morning snack/lunch I prepared.

I gorged myself on freshly baked cookies last night but they were so good. :eek:

Hosehead

Executive Member
As a parent I'd be more :wtf: if the school was rummaging through my kids lunch, determining what they could and could not consume from the mid-morning snack/lunch I prepared.
Nah it's a good thing that the teachers look to see what the kids are being fed. It's pretty simple no sweets, cakes, cookies, chips, or fizzy drinks. during the week. Tuck shop or pack a special treat on Fridays.