Best cookies in the world ...ever... since time began...ever...

blunomore

Honorary Master
I've got a few of pounds of Nestle chocolate chips en route to me from the states - cant wait for them to arrive!

Right now though I'm making do with a box of imported jaffa cakes. :D
You really have to make an attempt at embracing the South African experience.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You really have to make an attempt at embracing the South African experience.
I'm on my second South African wife, I've got two South African kids that we've raised in this country, and I've lived here for more than sixteen years, but if you think I'm going to start drinking rooibos tea and dunking stale chunks of heaven knows what in it then you've got another thing coming. ;)

Think of it this way. Should you ever live outside SA for any period of time I think you might appreciate a taste of home every once in a while, don't you?

Devill

Damned
South African Swiss Chocolate?
Yes yes, the same as the difference between french styled MCCs and champagne / Cognac vs aged brandy. None barring the location / region it originates from :p

Also cookies are for pansies and posers :D

Stroopwafels are for champions and kings.

Last edited:

blunomore

Honorary Master
I'm on my second South African wife, I've got two South African kids that we've raised in this country, and I've lived here for more than sixteen years, but if you think I'm going to start drinking rooibos tea and dunking stale chunks of heaven knows what in it then you've got another thing coming. ;)

Think of it this way. Should you ever live outside SA for any period of time I think you might appreciate a taste of home every once in a while, don't you?
We're not discussing your turnover of wives :D

I would miss traditional SA food, I am sure. After 16 years though, I doubt I would still be importing food, though. I am not judging you ..... or maybe I am just not a traditionalist.

Executive Member
Just about anything beats Swiss- but definitely not Pocky. We're talking premium chocolate covertures -Valrhona, Amedei, Callebaut, Sharfen Berger, Veliche, -These are just some of the easier found ones. But in SA kilo for Kilo Lindt and Callebaut are hard to beat.
Where're you finding those?

Executive Member
It's always so easy to spot the chocoholics :p
That too :D
But I bake a lot (for others; not for my consumption), and go through a lot of chocolate. Wouldn't mind playing around with some other varieties than Lindt.

Different distributors. What are you looking for?
More options. Would like to try out the Valrhona, Callebut and Scharffen Berger to start.

Which do you find works better in which applications?

EDIT: Planning to make my version of the Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies this weekend, so I'm still on topic :p

Last edited:

Hosehead

Executive Member
That too :D
But I bake a lot (for others; not for my consumption), and go through a lot of chocolate. Wouldn't mind playing around with some other varieties than Lindt.

More options. Would like to try out the Valrhona, Callebut and Scharffen Berger to start.

Which do you find works better in which applications?

EDIT: Planning to make my version of the Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies this weekend, so I'm still on topic :p
Have you got deep pockets because they are all much more than lindt. Callebut I find works well in a chocolate tart but Valrhona is too expensive for me to bugger about with. I haven't worked with SB I did work with Amedei and damn that was good but costs more than Valrhona. Retail Callebaut 70% chocolate callets 200 gm
R 45.00

Chocolate, Valrhona Guanaja 70% beans 200 gm
R 80.00

Wholesale prices should be a lot less but not sure what minimums are The above prices are via a middleman because I can't by direct from distributors in small quantities

Last edited:

Executive Member
Have you got deep pockets because they are all much more than lindt. Callebut I find works well in a chocolate tart but Valrhona is too expensive for me to bugger about with. I haven't worked with SB I did work with Amedei and damn that was good but costs more than Valrhona. Retail Callebaut 70% chocolate callets 200 gm
R 45.00

Chocolate, Valrhona Guanaja 70% beans 200 gm
R 80.00

Wholesale prices should be a lot less but not sure what minimums are The above prices are via a middleman because I can't by direct from distributors in small quantities
Callebut sounds doable. May try out the Valrhona for the next special occasion.

Issue with Lindt is that it is a bit too thin when melted, so I find that I have to adjust recipes to suit. Since I never actually test baked recipes before making them when required, it's always a bit of a concern that the adjustments will mess up the final product. I've read that Callebut is thicker when melted, so would like to try some things I've made with that, and see if it makes a difference.

Now give me the details :D

Hosehead

Executive Member
Where you based? Will send link for Jozi and if in Cpt will send same. (Jozi go direct to distributor)

D3nz

Honorary Master
You're all wrong. Best cookies are Maryland choc-chip. Not debatable.
Necro
I don't know about you, but I haven't seen Maryland cookies on the shelves in ages. I did come across something similar though and so, so delicious... Merba chocolate cookies :love:
1455815317068.jpg

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Necro
I don't know about you, but I haven't seen Maryland cookies on the shelves in ages. I did come across something similar though and so, so delicious... Merba chocolate cookies :love:
View attachment 343153
Have seen Maryland, and Foxes on shop shelves

What I haven't seen anywhere are the ones that get sent to me from Canada

uploadfromtaptalk1455816303523.jpg