Best fixed and mobile broadband services in South Africa

kianm

Honorary Master
So Afrihost beats emptyn although they ride on emptyn's network ok. Also I think Telkom mobile truly has good value for the money

minerva

How does Neobroadband Fibre even compete at those prices? R8200 per month for 10Mbps? 3Tb Max download and Soft Cap at 1.5Tb. They are all over the radio that they are voted the best broadband service provider in SA. Surely this is not a consumer product. Should this offer even be in the same survey as a regular consumer ADSL service? I cant imagine that hundreds of consumers completed the survey on that product either...

Value for money score on that survey is way too high... Something is not right there

deweyzeph

Executive Member
A big thing missing from this survey is which providers lock you into a 12 or 24 month contract in order to get their services. Anything other than prepaid or month-to-month is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Well done TM !!! I have often tested out network speeds with the 4 main mobile operators, from my suburb in the last 3 years, and TM has ALWAYS won on speed....and pricing.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Am I misunderstanding something? What does FIXED BROADBAND mean?

I thought it meant a fixed line....

so how can this be?

Best Fixed broadband: Telkom Mobile LTE

Last edited:

The_MAC

Executive Member

so how can this be?

The world of broadband is broken up into 3 main categories:

- Mobile (e.g. Normal 3G and LTE)
- Fixed Wireless (e.g. TM LTE, iBurst)
- Fixed (e.g. Telkom, Neotel etc.)

The first 2 are based on how the service and products are offered, in the TM LTE case they offer a more fixed wireless type model.

I guess in this survey, they grouped all Fixed Nomadic type (in terms of mobility) services into one category.

surfs-up

Expert Member

so how can this be?

I guess because you can use it as a fixed service at home or at the office. If you are in a good area, setup the LTE modem, and use it as a fixed service. If you are in a fringe area, then instal a directional yagi antenna pointing to the tower, together with the LTE modem, and you have great fixed service....with the advantage of taking it away on holiday with you :)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sorry, no mobile service is fixed. Contradiction in terms there.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
A big thing missing from this survey is which providers lock you into a 12 or 24 month contract in order to get their services. Anything other than prepaid or month-to-month is a deal breaker for a lot of people.
Remember that the survey tests peoples perception and experience of their own service providers. If 1000 of the 3635 people were happy to sign a long term contract and they perceive it to be good value and get good service, then it would score high. This is similar to asking 10 families finishing dinner at each of Spur, Panarottis and Nando's how they experienced their food and service. The one with the most positive votes win, although their menus varies greatly.

F

Fudzy

Agreed, the product shouldn't be in different categories then. It's like Jennifer Lawrence winning both best male and female roles at the Oscars.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I think there are 2 concepts in question here, its all semantics essentially:

Fixed vs Mobile
Wired vs Wireless

We make the assumption that Fixed is Wired, which is not the case in terms of TM LTE (CPE with external Antenna)

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I think there are 2 concepts in question here, its all semantics essentially:

Fixed vs Mobile
Wired vs Wireless

We make the assumption that Fixed is Wired, which is not the case in terms of TM LTE (CPE with external Antenna)
See, the guy who knows the most acronyms win! :D

More seriously, the article states it clearly:
It should be noted that Telkom’s LTE service is sold as a fixed wireless broadband solution, which is why it is grouped with other fixed products like ADSL, WiMax, and iBurst Wireless.

saliehendricks

Telkom LTE feels like first world internet. I am not one for contracts and the like but I am super happy with my 50Gb + Huweruweyr 593 for R1299pm. I was quite happy with 15-18Mbps, but the recent upgrades now pushed it up to ~38Mbps.

You can get the modem separately and spend R1800 for 120Gb.

F

Fudzy

Telkom LTE feels like first world internet. I am not one for contracts and the like but I am super happy with my 50Gb + Huweruweyr 593 for R1299pm. I was quite happy with 15-18Mbps, but the recent upgrades now pushed it up to ~38Mbps.

You can get the modem separately and spend R1800 for 120Gb.
R1800 for 120Gb? :eek: