whatwhat

Executive Member
Lol

Recommending the blackberry means you lose all credibility.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

Firstly, why do you say that?

Secondly, neither I nor Arthur were really recommending it. For my part: While there were a bunch of cool Android and iOS devices launched this year, BlackBerry was the only smartphone manufacturer who had the guts to try something very different.

I thought that was cool.

For my 2014 recommendation I would've said the Nexus 5 (prior to October, when it was discontinued). Post-October is more difficult because I haven't really had a chance to play with the Nexus 6 yet, and I'm of the belief that with Nexus and Motorola out there, R8k-R10k is far too much for my "recommended smartphone purchase of the year" pick.

oober

Expert Member
Pity the article is one big ass image...I wanted to look at some of those gadgets but having to google them is too much effort :D I want click-able links in that image :p

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Google Chromecast is so 2013. I mean it's actually from 2013, how can it be in a list of "gadgets which were released this year"?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Well, MKBHD also gave some praise to the BlackBerry Passport, mostly for improving a lot on what was before. :p

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I was quite impressed with the BB Passport.

BB is BS in general but given the fact that it is BS, I think that you will be quite surprised with all of RIMs efforts to try and resuscitate BB with this passport smartphone.

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
Firstly, why do you say that?

Secondly, neither I nor Arthur were really recommending it.

the Nexus 5 (prior to October, when it was discontinued).

lol. Firstly, the Nexus 5 is not discontinued as Google is selling it next to the Nexus 6.
And then still recommending the Passport as a device even though you were just trying it out and it was meant as tongue in cheek?

Rather stop posting for today, you seem like someone who doesn't have an idea what is going on the tech world.

elvis_presley

Expert Member

The BB Passport isn't interesting because of the same reason the LG Flex wasn't. Sometimes the reason nobody's done something, isn't because nobody thought of it, it's because the idea is just a waste of time :)

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
You're all wrong, even the "experts". It's the 8" Nextbook ....by a country mile and two tall people :D

suck on that Android, Apple and Blackberry :p

/dons flame suit ...actually no, screw-it, I'm going home

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
lol. Firstly, the Nexus 5 is not discontinued as Google is selling it next to the Nexus 6.
And then still recommending the Passport as a device even though you were just trying it out and it was meant as tongue in cheek?

Ah, sorry, you are correct to call me on the Nexus 5. I was thinking of the Nexus 7.

I don't know what you're trying to say in the second sentence/question, but again: I didn't recommend the Passport. I said that of all the devices released in 2014 it was the most interesting to me.

The BB Passport isn't interesting because of the same reason the LG Flex wasn't. Sometimes the reason nobody's done something, isn't because nobody thought of it, it's because the idea is just a waste of time :)

Hah! :D

While I agree the Passport's form factor isn't that great, what they did with the keyboard (including the keyboard acting as a trackpad) was really cool.

j4ck455

Executive Member
A Blackberry? Say it ain't so.

I need a 3D printer to clone me some drones.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Ah, sorry, you are correct to call me on the Nexus 5. I was thinking of the Nexus 7.

See, if you want to be taken as authoritative on a subject you need to be correct, all the time. Thinking of something and posting the wrong info just makes you look like all the other job reviewers out there writing on their personal blogs.

Harsh, but that is what it takes to be a professional.