Best Google-certified Android TV boxes in South Africa

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Have a mi box and had a Telkom Lit box. Their functionality is good. But in my opinion they are underpowered for 4K viewing. User interface gets jerky. Also I found viewing video at different frame rates a problem on my UHD Nano LG tv. Lots of jerky video. Eventually gave up with Android and got an Apple TV 4K. Never looked back. Quality, smoothness and user interface streets ahead. Worth the extra cost.

Out of interest which apps did you use to watch?
VLC was chunky for me and didn't play back everything. The built in player inside Xplor file manager app was much better and smooth.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Anyone who can comment on 4k playback via plex streaming? The pc is a monster so no issue there. Ive always had problems using a xbox1 s and 4k plex streaming using wired

DiabloDane

Expert Member
VLC was chunky for me and didn't play back everything. The built in player inside Xplor file manager app was much better and smooth.
on my old chinese x86 android box or whatever it was REFUSED to deal with VLC but the built in media player worked fine, even through Kodi it played fine... once i got the LIT i was finally able to use VLC again!

alloytoo

Honorary Master
We have a Mi Box S and a couple of MeCool M8S Pro W's.

All the boxes have Kodi (using a MySQL database and networked storage) and Amazon Prime Video.

I couldn't get Disney Plus to work on the Mecool boxes so we got the Mi Box.

Disney + , Prime Video, Netflix, TVNZ and Kodi all work great via the USB ethernet connection, as does the built in Chromecast.

Very much recommend it, planning to get another.

The only thing I can't get to work is Apple TV, it only works on the iPad and won't cast to Chromecast or Miracast devices.

I spit on Apple TV.

alloytoo

Honorary Master

Kodi, plays almost everything and is cross platform.

Azg

Expert Member
Have a mi box and had a Telkom Lit box. Their functionality is good. But in my opinion they are underpowered for 4K viewing. User interface gets jerky. Also I found viewing video at different frame rates a problem on my UHD Nano LG tv. Lots of jerky video. Eventually gave up with Android and got an Apple TV 4K. Never looked back. Quality, smoothness and user interface streets ahead. Worth the extra cost.
That was to be expected. The Android TV boxes you were trying are about a third of the Apple TV 4K price. A Shield TV Pro is in same price range as Apple TV 4K and will give you comparable performance.

EMMACHE

I have the Mediabox MBX4K Ranger and I’m quite happy with it. It’s google certified but not Netflix certified but they have a workaround and I only really use it for DStv now and Plex The local support is fantastic and they always willing to help.

Dolby

Honorary Master
But in my opinion they are underpowered for 4K viewing. User interface gets jerky

Maybe the high bitrate / uncompressed stuff - Netflix UHD, Amazon UHD and YouTube UHD have never given an issue. And for a streaming box R1,300.00ish - that's pretty decent value.

got an Apple TV 4K. Never looked back. Quality, smoothness and user interface streets ahead. Worth the extra cost.

That's not bad - but as you say, also 3 times the price. And you're stuck with a limited resolution on YouTube of a maximum of 1080 . If you don't watch lots of YouTube, fair enough - but I couldn't bring myself to spend a fortune on a home entertainment system and then watch YouTube in 1080 :/

Zae87

Until Netflix changes a line of code and boom, no more Netflix.

But why would Netflix just change a line of code anyway? Also, my version of Netflix (which I still receive updates for) is side loaded and works really well