Best Google-certified TV boxes to buy in South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Best Google-certified TV boxes to buy in South Africa

The myriad of online video streaming services available in South Africa offer their subscribers access to vast libraries of movies and shows.

While these can be accessed conveniently via an app or browser on a smartphone, tablet, or computer, few viewing setups offer as comfortable an experience as the TV in your living room.

While several manufacturers now boast built-in smart capability for their TVs - allowing you to jump onto your home's Internet network and use these apps directly on the TV, the software used in these systems can be clunky and inconsistent, and may in certain instances only receive updates every so often.

rvZA

Executive Member
Ah man... despite all these boxes listed in the article, I never want anything else but my Nvidia Shield 2019 model. Since getting this device, a lot of my issues just went away. A brilliant device!

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
The Ematic claims to use a IR remote but it works when its under the duvet or if i hold the remote outside the bedroom door, not sure how that works but its pretty cool.

Robocop

Where do you get the MECOOL M9 pro for that price ? The link takes you to the normal M9 on Takealot. The MECOOL M9 Pro is R2400 ?

Gudnews

Expert Member
Still waiting for somebody besides some pricy options to sort out HD surround issues.

Azg

Expert Member

Dolby

Honorary Master
The Ematic claims to use a IR remote but it works when its under the duvet or if i hold the remote outside the bedroom door, not sure how that works but its pretty cool.
It's both, if I recall. Voice isn't going to work on IR :)

It uses IR initially to setup up the Bluetooth

Supervan II

Expert Member
Is there any reason why it should if it's not a legal requirement at this time?
I was being facetious ... ;)

With the new proposed law re TV licence you'd be paying a TV licence for:
a) TV;
b) smartphone;
c) PC;
d) media player (as in OP);
e) DSTV decoder;
f) DVD player/recorder;
g) etc, etc, etc.

Which makes me think of those who propose that it be included in the purchase price of the device - which then means we'll be paying for that TV licence at least 5 times over ... (cue ANC-piggies rubbing their hands in glee)

On the other hand, "every household" does not necessarily own any of the above devices.

Interesting times ahead indeed, should the law be changed to reflect the proposal, come enforcement thereof.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
It's both, if I recall. Voice isn't going to work on IR :)

It uses IR initially to setup up the Bluetooth
Ah yes, why didn't I think of that, probably because I never use the voice function.

cda

Ah man... despite all these boxes listed in the article, I never want anything else but my Nvidia Shield 2019 model. Since getting this device, a lot of my issues just went away. A brilliant device!
Was about to ask why the Shield isnt on this list, its the only one worth buying.

StoneCold

Expert Member
The MECOOL KM9 Pro isn't Netflix certified. Quite a pain.
Yup, it even says the one should not update Netflix on the Takealot product page (in brackets). Google certified..yeah right.

HowTo

Expert Member
I checked all prices not valid as per article.
Prices are much more.

Price are adjusted currently Top prices. Bottom as per article.

Last edited:

alloytoo

Honorary Master
We have two Mi Box S.

Work with Prime Video, Disney+, Netflix. TVNZ, YouTube.

With Kodi I can stream major Australian and NZ channels (not that I bother much) and from my own media pool.

Bluetooth supports wireless headphones as well as the remote.

Voice search seems to work best for the 6 year old.

The only con is that it doesn't have a ethernet port, but will support ethernet through USB.

Speedster

Honorary Master
We have two Mi Box S.

Work with Prime Video, Disney+, Netflix. TVNZ, YouTube.

With Kodi I can stream major Australian and NZ channels (not that I bother much) and from my own media pool.

Bluetooth supports wireless headphones as well as the remote.

Voice search seems to work best for the 6 year old.

The only con is that it doesn't have a ethernet port, but will support ethernet through USB.
I've got two too. WiFi connection has been rock solid