Best Google-certified TV boxes to buy in South Africa

killerbyte

Expert Member
The Ematic claims to use a IR remote but it works when its under the duvet or if i hold the remote outside the bedroom door, not sure how that works but its pretty cool.
The Ematic remote is IR for initial setup but when you go through the pairing process at initial setup you are actually pairing the bluetooth functionality.

Mampara

They all have outdated chipsets. Mali 450 give me a break. These can't play true 4K resolution

HowTo

Expert Member
Last edited:

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Had issues with my Xiaomi Mi Box S 4K. It froze and restarted daily while watching Youtube. Thought it might be a Youtube app issue, but it never got fixed and that is the main reason we have it.

Replaced it with a Google TV that I bought from Geewiz. Could not be happier. Works fast and has a much better looking remote.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Yup, it even says the one should not update Netflix on the Takealot product page (in brackets). Google certified..yeah right.
This is a major stumbling block for the average consumer. That is why I always recommend the Mi Box to people. Just works and has a decent support community.
I understand this is because of Mecool being found previously circumventing controls to get Netflix to play HD on non-Netflix-approved devices. The brand/device is basically Netflix-blacklisted.

Crumbl0x

Small heads up, GeeWiz is beginning to stock the MECOOL KM6 Deluxe: https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-play...amlogic-s905x4-25g5g-wifi-6-bluetooth-50.html

Really great specs for the price with proper Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi 6 and decent storage. Only caveat if you really need it, is that it's still not Netflix certified, but everything else, especially home media shouldn't be an issue. Also, with AV1 decoding support it's a little more future proof than the ageing boxes.

Kitto

Small heads up, GeeWiz is beginning to stock the MECOOL KM6 Deluxe: https://www.geewiz.co.za/media-play...amlogic-s905x4-25g5g-wifi-6-bluetooth-50.html

Really great specs for the price with proper Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi 6 and decent storage. Only caveat if you really need it, is that it's still not Netflix certified, but everything else, especially home media shouldn't be an issue. Also, with AV1 decoding support it's a little more future proof than the ageing boxes.
The Mecool KM6 Delux is only available on import at Geewiz and Multiset.co.za. You have to wait a month before you get it. The specs are great even without Netflix support Mecool makes really great certified boxes.

Kitto

I have the Mecool KM1 delux and Mecool km6 Pro two great Google certified boxes bought at Multiset.co.za. Very happy with these boxes not missing Netflix as I have access on my LG OLED tv. You can sideload Netflix at 480P resolution.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have the Mecool KM1 delux and Mecool km6 Pro two great Google certified boxes bought at Multiset.co.za. Very happy with these boxes not missing Netflix as I have access on my LG OLED tv. You can sideload Netflix at 480P resolution.
no-no-no-no.gif

Kitto

IF 480P is not good enough then a great Kodi addon with a Real Debrid account you can stream Netflix content to your hearts content.

Lupus

Honorary Master
IF 480P is not good enough then a great Kodi addon with a Real Debrid account you can stream Netflix content to your hearts content.
Yeah 480p isn't good enough, especially in 2021, most TVs are 4k. Rather spend a bit more and get Google and Netflix certified devices.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
this is all you need.

Kitto

I have sideloaded Netflix from Aptoid APK on My Mecool Km6 Pro. You need to choose Netflix 3.0 the black Icon. The quality is great definitely not 480P looks like at least 1080P.