Best Google-certified TV boxes to buy in South Africa

Kitto

Yes it is.I do however use it when we go away on holiday when there are no smart TV's available. My main use of my Android boxes is Kodi.

Crumbl0x

The Mecool KM6 Delux is only available on import at Geewiz and Multiset.co.za. You have to wait a month before you get it. The specs are great even without Netflix support Mecool makes really great certified boxes.
Ah I thought they'd have imported some batches by now, but alright. Nice to hear though!

Dolby

Honorary Master
The specs are great even without Netflix support Mecool makes really great certified boxes.
I think in this case, this may be ideal for you - but not for most the buyers out there !

If anyone asks me, the certifications (Netflix and Google) are the most important metrics of a decent Android box. What's the point of these super specs when you have sideload shitty Netflix APKs that are 1) limited in resolution 2) limited in HDR 3) old interface ?

Ignore the hardware specs if it isn't certified

Kitto

I think in this case, this may be ideal for you - but not for most the buyers out there !

If anyone asks me, the certifications (Netflix and Google) are the most important metrics of a decent Android box. What's the point of these super specs when you have sideload shitty Netflix APKs that are 1) limited in resolution 2) limited in HDR 3) old interface ?

Ignore the hardware specs if it isn't certified
I do agree with you to a certain extent but there are plenty of other services besides Netflix that you can watch in full 4K and 1080P like YouTube, Amazon Prime, Showmax, DSTV, Acorn etc. I did mention that the side loaded version has great resolution at least 1080P. I tested it yesterday.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I did mention that the side loaded version has great resolution at least 1080P. I tested it yesterday.

That's still less than 4K
That's still no HDR
That's a still a shitty interface

Like I say, it may work for you - but it won't work for most the population. Most people have Netflix - and to tell them to sideload something on a 60% more expensive box, for a limited Netflix experience is not going to work. That's 90% of the market.

Why not save that 60% and get a box that works out of the box ?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
APPLE TV ftw, everything just works in 4k. With dolby vision and atmos support.

I find other media boxes the netflix interface runs at much low res, most media players run 4k when you play videos, but broswing interface is much lower resolution.

rubber_otter

Expert Member

Gudnews

Expert Member
@Dolby I recently had the bright idea to test my sound system by using my old MxQ box and it worked! Surround pass through of every format using Kodi. I'll stick to the Ematic as my daily runner of course but it was nice to see Dts X pop up on the amp display.

Kitto

That's still less than 4K
That's still no HDR
That's a still a shitty interface

Like I say, it may work for you - but it won't work for most the population. Most people have Netflix - and to tell them to sideload something on a 60% more expensive box, for a limited Netflix experience is not going to work. That's 90% of the market.

Why not save that 60% and get a box that works out of the box ?
Which certified box are you referring to that is 60% cheaper than the Mecool KM6 Pro?

Dolby

Honorary Master
APPLE TV ftw, everything just works in 4k. With dolby vision and atmos support.

I find other media boxes the netflix interface runs at much low res, most media players run 4k when you play videos, but broswing interface is much lower resolution.
So, the issue I had with that when I looked was :
  1. No HDR10+
  2. No YouTube UHD
  3. No Kodi
Of all the Apple products (I dislike most), the ATV is something I'd purchase again, as the above don't worry me now

Dolby

Honorary Master
Which certified box are you referring to that is 60% cheaper than the Mecool KM6 Pro?
Sorry - you're right ... not 60%.

But at 40% less you'd be looking at boxes like the Ematic or Mi
Even the Maverick is 30% cheaper than the Mecool KM6

Dolby

Honorary Master
@Dolby I recently had the bright idea to test my sound system by using my old MxQ box and it worked! Surround pass through of every format using Kodi. I'll stick to the Ematic as my daily runner of course but it was nice to see Dts X pop up on the amp display.
Interesting - what OS is the old ?

Dolby

Honorary Master

I think that's a bit behind though - no Ematic or Maverick.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Interesting - what OS is the old ?
It's one of those custom Android ones, MBOX. This one runs Android 7. It doesn't even have an option to turn off the HDR but the sound options offer HDMI bit stream.

Kitto

Sorry - you're right ... not 60%.

But at 40% less you'd be looking at boxes like the Ematic or Mi
Even the Maverick is 30% cheaper than the Mecool KM6
Mecool KM9 Pro you can pick it up for R1299.00.