Best Investment Company

Zarnicate

I would like some names of good investment companies. Please post and state why.

This is for life insurance, retirement annuities, index trust and saving.

Currently with Sanlam and I am not happy with them at all. Would like to move complete portfolio.

I have been warned to stay away from Discovery as well.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Retirement annuities - for a managed fund RA I'd say Coronation. For index fund RA I'd say 10X and/or Sygnia (Skeleton 70).

Zarnicate

I am specifically looking for a one stop shop.
I.E. Something like Liberty, Momentum, Old Mutual.

Please also post any you should stay away from and why.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

So you are not unhappy due to expense, what are you unhappy about with Sanlam? If expense is not the issue, then don't write of Discovery.

Cius

Executive Member
PPS for core insurance is unbeatable due to their profit share (they give all profit back to members). You need a 4 year degree for it though. And by core products I mean life, sickness, disability insurance. Their medical aid, RA's etc are average from my personal experience.

For retirement savings I'd look at 10x, Coronation, Investec, and Alan gray. Preferably a mix of 3 funds to not have all eggs in one basket.

Zarnicate

PPS for core insurance is unbeatable due to their profit share (they give all profit back to members). You need a 4 year degree for it though. And by core products I mean life, sickness, disability insurance. Their medical aid, RA's etc are average from my personal experience.

For retirement savings I'd look at 10x, Coronation, Investec, and Alan gray. Preferably a mix of 3 funds to not have all eggs in one basket.
Was looking into PPS and I don't have a 4 year degree only 3 years and certifications galore.

Zarnicate

So you are not unhappy due to expense, what are you unhappy about with Sanlam? If expense is not the issue, then don't write of Discovery.
I have an income protector with them they constantly screwing up my claims. Taking forever to respond and when they finally pay it is not even drop in the bucket what I am due or what I am covered for.

I asked for assistance from my broker multiple times....no response. You are on hold for at least 30mins before somebody answers the phone and then it is just an call agent you don't talk to somebody who actually knows what is going on.

My wife recently moved to Discovery and she is getting more out the with her Sanlam policies. Her retirement annuities etc pay out more in the end and even her investments grew more. I just spoke to some friends etc and was advised not to go to Discovery also don't want to put all our eggs in the same basket.

So basically bad service and performance is why I am leaving Sanlam

Cius

Executive Member
Check it out anyways. They might have softened the requirements and are willing to take you.

Vengeful

Usually when I look into which provider I should go with, I look at what they are really good at doing and how long have they been doing it for.

With Life Insurance I have been with Liberty for ages (its one of their primary businesses) and my company has mandatory Life Insurance with Discovery

With Investments and RA's I did initially have them with Liberty as well until I realized that they were just man in the middle to Coronation and other funds. So I completely moved away from them and went with Coronation (their platform is easy to use, you can change the funds directions as you please)

I remember doing Tony Robbins Personal Power a while back and he mentions at least 35% of your CTC PM should go toward your future security (and obviously not all eggs in one basket - so split these up and choose )

Tman*

Expert Member
These companies are all the same, they try to swindle you out of your hard earned cash with fancy offers, discounts and reward programs.

Take out what insurance you need, and educate yourself on how to invest your own money instead of paying someone else to do it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Then you will find yourself in the same shitty position you currently do, just with a different Vendor.

Old Mutual for instance is fine for insurance....terrible for investments.

You need to go to a player dedicated to the purpose of each, not just a middle man charging you to take your money to those players.

Old Mutual literally take your money and invest it with someone else on your behalf and charge you for it....exorbitantly at that with very little transparency for fees.

Trust me, I just moved all my RA/Pension stuff away from them and towards 10X for this very reason.

Zarnicate

Then you will find yourself in the same shitty position you currently do, just with a different Vendor.

Old Mutual for instance is fine for insurance....terrible for investments.

You need to go to a player dedicated to the purpose of each, not just a middle man charging you to take your money to those players.

Old Mutual literally take your money and invest it with someone else on your behalf and charge you for it....exorbitantly at that with very little transparency for fees.

Trust me, I just moved all my RA/Pension stuff away from them and towards 10X for this very reason.

Any suggestions?
RA to 10X
Index trusts? also 10X?
Income Protector?
Life Insurance?
General Saving/Investment?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Any suggestions?
RA to 10X
Index trusts? also 10X?
Income Protector?
Life Insurance?
General Saving/Investment?
I have my RA with 10X

ETF’s with Easy Equities.

Life Insurance and Disability and Income Protector stuff with Old Mutual. Which I probably would move too if not for disclosure reasons when moving elsewhere.

Anything else is in my home loan prepaid fund.