Best ISP for fiber?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Opinions will be based on peoples own experience. Some have great experiences and no issues, for others it is different. One factor to consider is support and responsiveness.
I have had unacceptably poor service from Afrihost. Their support is non-existent. They have online chat which does not work, neither does their WhatsApp support. Even if you do contact support, it is only good for the most basic issues.
My issue was intermittent and random drops in connection. I spent close to 4 months allowing their support to help me, but they are clueless and will do the absolute minimum to close your ticket and hope you shut up and go away. I tried escalating, even so far as sending a DM and email to Gian (CEO). Don't be fooled by the "happy clappy" persona, it is only for the cameras. My email of 29 July only received a generic response yesterday (25th August) giving me various numbers for support, sponsorship, etc. (really - you are sending me a link about sponsorship enquiries when I needed you help to get someone competent to fix my issue??).
I only persisted because I felt I owed them for covering my installation and connection costs, but after my poor experience I finally made the decision to jump ship. I am about to sign up with Cool Ideas, mainly because they were quick to respond to my private DM on questions I had. This was my experience, and I am now lost forever to Afrihost.

I'm really sorry we let you down. Sounds like you had a horrible experience and that is certainly not what Afrihost support is all about. I'm really sorry for that. If there is something you want me to look into before you cancel I will be happy too.

maccaman

I'm really sorry we let you down. Sounds like you had a horrible experience and that is certainly not what Afrihost support is all about. I'm really sorry for that. If there is something you want me to look into before you cancel I will be happy too.

I appreciate the offer to help, but the rest of Afrihost dropped the ball big time. My ship has sailed, and I can't wait for the 1st when I join Cool Ideas.

netcruiser

Cool Ideas, no doubt: highly interconnected network (if that kind of thing is important to you) and competent owners.

DeckStar

I am in the same boat. Webafrica is screwing me. I am paying for a 200/200 line on Vumatel but when I do a speedtest to Dublin, Washington, Texas, anywhere internationally then I get 12/12 or less. I log multiple tickets then they tell me there is nothing wrong with their network but I cannot even watch a Twitch stream on 480p without buffering. I have done trace routes to different international servers then at around 10 hops I get request time outs.

I am looking for an ISP that has:
* Competent service agents that know a little bit about tech support and don't spew copy pasted answers
* Has a tech support line till at least 8pm (preferably more)
* Can guarantee me at least 50/50 internationally (I understand that I may not get FULL speed internationally) and not lie about it and try shove me off as being insane for asking what I pay for.

Based on these parameters, any real recommendations please?

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I am in the same boat. Webafrica is screwing me. I am paying for a 200/200 line on Vumatel but when I do a speedtest to Dublin, Washington, Texas, anywhere internationally then I get 12/12 or less. I log multiple tickets then they tell me there is nothing wrong with their network but I cannot even watch a Twitch stream on 480p without buffering. I have done trace routes to different international servers then at around 10 hops I get request time outs.

* Competent service agents that know a little bit about tech support and don't spew copy pasted answers
* Can guarantee me at least 50/50 internationally (I understand that I may not get FULL speed internationally) and not lie about it and try shove me off as being insane for asking what I pay for.

We can help :)

blaine666

Might be easier for you to move overseas to get what you looking for.

Jokes aside, it is sad that we have fibre, we don't mind paying but we are not getting any good service in this country and considering fibre has been around in SA for a while now.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Probably those accounts on their own fibre infrastructure,fairly limited rollout but damn good pricing

You are correct we have a direct line to their head office, but I was the one who approached them and negotiated the price. I made a post about this about five years ago.

VettieOriginal

Have you tested with a VPN? I got a VPN and my international speed is full line speed 200mb

So some hwew something is fishy with some of the ISP's

Conack

Expert Member
Same thing with Vox.

Bit of a hit and miss - some sites fly, others you need a VPN else it crawls.

SuperHero Sarah

Company Representative
Company Rep
Not RSAWEB or AFRIHOST either
Look ISPs aren't perfect. We do also experiencing issues. To be honest I think every ISP and FNO wants everything to ALWAYS be perfect and work flawlessly but that is just not realistic. Networks break and needs attention all the time to make sure things run smoothly.

If an ISP experiences 3 outages in 1 month for example and the FNO have a few outages on their side in a month it could feel like fibre from hell. As an ISP we get that and we don't want that so I can assure you we do always try our best to make sure the clients are connected and getting the speeds they pay for. It is the clients after all that keeps the business going. :)
Good answer here AfriNatic!

L-Dog

Expert Member
Been having lots of issues with Cool Ideas the last couple of week but overall based on previous experience, research I previously did and speaking with colleagues your best 3 bets are Cool Ideas, Afrihost and Websquad. Choosing between Openserve and Frogfoot seems to be a bigger issue

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Been having lots of issues with Cool Ideas the last couple of week but overall based on previous experience, research I previously did and speaking with colleagues your best 3 bets are Cool Ideas, Afrihost and Websquad. Choosing between Openserve and Frogfoot seems to be a bigger issue
Checking your tickets it's mostly wireless or line related, I hope the support team are managing this effectively. Otherwise reach out to me.

spit

I've been with Supersonic since January this year and have no complaints. I'm on a 100/50 line and it serves me well as I'm working from home since lockdown started.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Checking your tickets it's mostly wireless or line related, I hope the support team are managing this effectively. Otherwise reach out to me.

Support came back to me thanks will let you know if I dont get feedback from them