Best microSD for Raspberry PI

kitkat+

Hi Guys

Which are the best microSD cards for the Raspberry PI 4 model B ?

thanks
Kitty

Thor

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

thanks
Kitty
Samsung PRO Endurance, Class 10

the issue is, SD cards are not a great medium for storage (many reads and writes) to begin with. So buy the best SD card you can afford (relative to how much the impact of it breaking is worth)

I still believe the PI should have a nand flash onboard

but anyway,

SD cards, I burned through my Scandisks a lot

Went with the Samsung one and been fine so far, couple bad sectors but not dead yet ie already lasted twice as long as the Scandisk did at this point.

I now use, Samsung Evo and Samsung Enduro SD cards only

Also in my Arduino / ESP32 loggers

Veroland

Executive Member
I know you specficially say SD, but is SSD's off the table?

I am using one of these in my Pi4 and works great, much more resilient than a SD.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Samsung PRO Endurance, Class 10

the issue is, SD cards are not a great medium for storage (many reads and writes) to begin with. So buy the best SD card you can afford (relative to how much the impact of it breaking is worth)

I still believe the PI should have a nand flash onboard

but anyway,

SD cards, I burned through my Scandisks a lot

Went with the Samsung one and been fine so far, couple bad sectors but not dead yet ie already lasted twice as long as the Scandisk did at this point.

I now use, Samsung Evo and Samsung Enduro SD cards only

Also in my Arduino / ESP32 loggers
My Sandisk sdcard is still chugging along great a year later. Use my pi daily as well since it's my main PC.

Ares1000101

I recently moved to an external 2.5" HDD. the Sd card was slow to update software, and just generally pssd me off.
responsiveness is miles better now.
I use mine for pihole and unifi server.

So, I'd say just go with an SSD or normal HDD.

rrh

Expert Member
Hi Guys

thanks
Kitty
An SSD drive ?

In all seriousness: I have yet to experience problems with the Samsung 5-year warranty microSD cards.

That said, I have just purchased a Maxell 120Gb SSD with a 3-year warranty, mainly 'cos I want o add a couple of high-writing applications to my Docker installation.

kitkat+

I recently moved to an external 2.5" HDD. the Sd card was slow to update software, and just generally pssd me off.
responsiveness is miles better now.
I use mine for pihole and unifi server.

So, I'd say just go with an SSD or normal HDD.
This is exactly my use case as well.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The reason why I went with an SD card and not an SSD via USB3 is because speed does not matter to me.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Depends on how the Raspberry Pi is going to be used. We use either Sandisk or Samsung Micro SD cards in our Raspberry Pi's which run 24/7/365 and they write constantly to the cards. They're cheap enough that we can replace them when needed. Due to the nature of the Micro SD cards, we do have to replace faulty cards occasionally. We have over 300 Raspberry Pi's in the field.
If you really want a good quality Micro SD card you would probably have to look at Micro SD cards that's designed for video monitoring as these are high endurance cards and can be pricey.

kitkat+

Depends on how the Raspberry Pi is going to be used. We use either Sandisk or Samsung Micro SD cards in our Raspberry Pi's which run 24/7/365 and they write constantly to the cards. They're cheap enough that we can replace them when needed. Due to the nature of the Micro SD cards, we do have to replace faulty cards occasionally. We have over 300 Raspberry Pi's in the field.
If you really want a good quality Micro SD card you would probably have to look at Micro SD cards that's designed for video monitoring as these are high endurance cards and can be pricey.
Would be keen to know how you are using your Pis.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Would be keen to know how you are using your Pis.
We have clients that run various types of testing equipment and instrumentation. the Raspberry Pi sits between the testing equipment and the network. The Pi constantly gathers the data from the equipment and sends them to the various servers or locations.