Best movies and shows on Netflix and Showmax this weekend - 9 July 2021

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Best movies and TV shows to watch on Netflix and Showmax this weekend

South Africa's two biggest video streaming services, Netflix and Showmax, offer a range of new movies and TV shows to enjoy at home this weekend.

With lockdown level 4 remaining in effect until at least Sunday and a possible extension likely, you won't be able to visit the movie theatres anytime soon.

The country's biggest cinema chain Ster-Kinekor is currently not even allowed to operate its drive-ins.

Those who still enjoy the cinema experience and want to support the industry should be first in line to buy movie tickets when cinemas are reopened.

For the time being, however, South Africans can watch Hollywood blockbusters and binge-worthy TV shows in the comfort of their home.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
FYI @Jan I'm often noticing a week delay for Showmax between what MyBB says is being released for the weekend vs what is actually released.

But I do enjoy these articles none the less as it gives me a heads up of upcoming movies on Showmax and Netflix.

Reactions: Jan

Unreal

I’d recommend Vincenzo on Netflix. It’s Korean and it’s darn good.

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
FYI @Jan I'm often noticing a week delay for Showmax between what MyBB says is being released for the weekend vs what is actually released.

But I do enjoy these articles none the less as it gives me a heads up of upcoming movies on Showmax and Netflix.
Hey @Other Pineapple Smurf. This used to be the case when we pulled Showmax shows and movies from Justwatch's list.

We don't do that anymore as it seems whatever tool they are using actually picks up titles Showmax has added to its library as "Coming soon".

So this should have improved in the last two or three months. However, we've also had instances where they actually include a title on their official list for the month with a set date, and then it's not there.

We source these shows and movies from their own list.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
I just saw Major Grom Plague doctor and The Water Man on Netflix, looks good. Don't know when they came out, looks new to me.

Edit: So far Major Grom is good.....I think it's probably my first Russian dubbed movie.

Last edited:

Death

Hey there. Was at the time of writing. Critics only started uploading ratings today, so it constantly shifted. Now sommer at 6.9.
Why not use their rating plugin? I believe it keeps the ratings up to date?