Best option for a student cheque/credit card??

Bass

Hi guys, I need help. I want to make online purchase such as from ebay, amazon etc. but I understand I require a card which has the MasterCard/visa logo and embedded card number + CVV. I currently have a student achiever debit card that does have a MasterCard logo, CVV but no embedded card number but I can't seem to make purchases with it. I have heard that you could apply for a student achiever cheque card - not sure if this is true. Otherwise what other card is advisable and is also cheap, to make online purchases? Also I need a card that doesn't limit me to R5000 as like my standard bank student achiever. Thanx

Bar0n

Executive Member
Yeah, you can apply for a proper cheque card, which you can use to make online purchases. I did it (quite a few years ago). No need for a credit card.

EDIT: Btw, Standard Bank tends to limit your spending/withdrawals to your monthly salary. I don't reckon they'll easily let you over R5000.

Bass

Yeah, you can apply for a proper cheque card, which you can use to make online purchases. I did it (quite a few years ago). No need for a credit card.

EDIT: Btw, Standard Bank tends to limit your spending/withdrawals to your monthly salary. I don't reckon they'll easily let you over R5000.

Just to clarify, I can apply for a student achiever cheque card instead of my current student achiever debit, or do I get another cheque card that is linked to my student achiever debit. What are the fees involved with the cheque card?

Bar0n

Executive Member
Just to clarify, I can apply for a student achiever cheque card instead of my current student achiever debit, or do I get another cheque card that is linked to my student achiever debit. What are the fees involved with the cheque card?

Do you currently have a cheque account? Then you'll just get a new card. Btw, this will need to be mailed to your preferred branch, since it's a MasterCard. I'm not sure what processes are involved, but it can't just be issued immediately.

I do not recall the costs involved as I have not had a student account for quite a few years now. But the Standard Bank website will have more information about this.

Freaksta

Expert Member

Yes what you said in your first sentence. The card costs R100 odd rand, and there is an extra annual fee I think..

Mozolo

Just get a Capitec card, you will be able to buy from online stores and the rates are quite cheap

Bass

Yes what you said in your first sentence. The card costs R100 odd rand, and there is an extra annual fee I think..

Thanx! Will check up on that at my nearest branch. Btw, do you know why it that my student achiever debit card doesn't work even though it has a mastercard logo and CVV? Whats the difference between my card and the student achiever cheque card?

zizo911

Executive Member
Capitec!!
I had them all and by far absa is the worst with there fees... And lo and behold u go intot the negative with a R5...

KalMaverick

Expert Member
+1 Capitec.

Seriously why bother with this or that card with this or that account, having this or that requirement.

Open a Capitec account and use the card that comes with it. Steam/Ebay/Credit card payments whatever.

Is that a cheque card? what are fees involved?

No it's a debit card, can still do online purchases with it.

Fees