Best option to print photos

joker08

Expert Member
So I have a lots photos mostly of my kids growing up and it's becoming too hectic to keep track of all the photos over the years and I decided to get them printed.
I have a Brother ink tank printer but the color print seems to fade over time(less than 2 months) so that's not an option.
what I was thinking of is getting an album made, something like a wedding photo book. I have heard the prints on them last forever?
is there a cheap place that I can get this done, like around R5 per photo ? I have around 300 pics.
Or do u think there is a better option ?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
For photobooks, canon photobooks seem to be the cheapest, or at least they have the cheapest options.

I used Rapid Studio (https://za.rapid.studio/) for our wedding album, and they were great. The software is also a bit better than what canon photobooks use.

Then there's orms, outdoor photo and a bunch of others who probably also do prints.

M wife printed a bunch of b&w photos on her Canon printer, and they were fine. Although between the paper and the ink, it's quite expensive. I think it's cheaper than a printing shop though.

I usually print photos at Foto First, who are good, although the calibration between my screen and their printer seems to be slightly off....

For 300 pics, I would go with a couple of A4 softcover book from canon photobooks, and put 2 or 3 photos per page.
Then maybe a hardcover book for the more special ones.

kokzn

Thread hijack, apologies to OP.

Can I get recommendations for a home printer? This will be used mainly for my daughter's school work. She is in Grade 1. Has to be color printer, low maintenance etc. Budget, not more that R1000.

Thanks.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

Can I get recommendations for a home printer? This will be used mainly for my daughter's school work. She is in Grade 1. Has to be color printer, low maintenance etc. Budget, not more that R1000.

Thanks.

What do you expect to print?

I tend to avoid home printers since the annoyance I've had with dot matrix printers back in the day.
My wife's Canon Pixma MX570 printer prints good quality on normal paper or photo paper, even with generic cartridges at about R200 a set.
It printed pretty crappy when we tried to print on fancy thick glittery paper, also using generics. The local print shop printed amazingly on that paper. Apples and oranges, I know, but it depends on what you want.

We've only had to run the cleaning program once since I've known her, which is about 4/5 years, but we don't print that much.

It includes a scanner which is infinitely better than the scanner of the office printer, although the document feeder has started to mangle documents.

It's decent, and I would probably buy one again if I had to.

If it is for printing stuff for her own consumption, I would just let her work straight from the computer/tablet.

kokzn

What do you expect to print?

I tend to avoid home printers since the annoyance I've had with dot matrix printers back in the day.
My wife's Canon Pixma MX570 printer prints good quality on normal paper or photo paper, even with generic cartridges at about R200 a set.
It printed pretty crappy when we tried to print on fancy thick glittery paper, also using generics. The local print shop printed amazingly on that paper. Apples and oranges, I know, but it depends on what you want.

We've only had to run the cleaning program once since I've known her, which is about 4/5 years, but we don't print that much.

It includes a scanner which is infinitely better than the scanner of the office printer, although the document feeder has started to mangle documents.

It's decent, and I would probably buy one again if I had to.

If it is for printing stuff for her own consumption, I would just let her work straight from the computer/tablet.
Thanks. It is mainly for school work books, to complete homework, writing out letters, words, drawing on already prepared workbook, she just needs to fill in the answers. Their physical work books are stuck at school.

I have gone ahead and ordered this from Incredible (Canon Pixma MG2540S Multi Function Printer) for R649.

Thanks for your recommendation.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So I have a lots photos mostly of my kids growing up and it's becoming too hectic to keep track of all the photos over the years and I decided to get them printed.
I have a Brother ink tank printer but the color print seems to fade over time(less than 2 months) so that's not an option.
what I was thinking of is getting an album made, something like a wedding photo book. I have heard the prints on them last forever?
is there a cheap place that I can get this done, like around R5 per photo ? I have around 300 pics.
Or do u think there is a better option ?
Some place like this will cost you R1.99 per jumbo. https://www.photospace.co.za

Or you can design and produce a printed album with https://myphotobook.co.za/
Don't bump a jack. Poor form.

I usually print photos at Foto First, who are good, although the calibration between my screen and their printer seems to be slightly off....
What do you use to calibrate your screen? A Spyder?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Some place like this will cost you R1.99 per jumbo. https://www.photospace.co.za

Or you can design and produce a printed album with https://myphotobook.co.za/

Don't bump a jack. Poor form.

What do you use to calibrate your screen? A Spyder?

It came pre-calibrated, but I think it's too bright for my room. The prints always come out darker. Each time that happens, I turn down the brightness a bit.

I know that pre-calibration doesn't last, but I don't have a spyder and don't plan to buy one, and using windows calibration is bound to screw it up.
If I can rent or borrow a spyder though....