Best paint to use for interior walls

Zipzorp

Hey everyone, so we're thinking of repainting the interior walls at home. My dad used what I think is the worst paint on the face of the earth a couple years ago- chalky, dusty and it seems to attract stains. Got my first job and decided to jump into a bit of DIY, I'm favouring Plascon Double Velvet and Cashmere- any advice on other brands?
Also, what prep should I do on the walls and what products should I use?
Any good/bad experiences with interior paints?
Thanks in advance!

signates

Executive Member
Hey everyone, so we're thinking of repainting the interior walls at home. My dad used what I think is the worst paint on the face of the earth a couple years ago- chalky, dusty and it seems to attract stains. Got my first job and decided to jump into a bit of DIY, I'm favouring Plascon Double Velvet and Cashmere- any advice on other brands?
Thanks in advance!
I would ask here: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=646342

Some good info available in that thread.

rodga

Executive Member
I've used chamberlains brand satin in my bedroom. Quite a nice finish. And recently used fired earth in the living room. Also not too bad. Used some dulux colors of the world for a feature wall - but painting the while place with that works rather expensive.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Thanks in advance!
Sounds like the paint he used is a water based acrylic type paint.. Very easy to paint with and cheap but, it has that nasty habit of attracting stains.. try and wash the stains off, and you may scrub the actual paint off, especially if the surface wasn't prepped properly..

Surface prep for new paint will depend on the type of paint you go with next and I would recommend spending the time to do it right.. it's a lot of back breaking, time consuming work if you have terrible surfaces to work with but it will make all the difference in the world to the end result..

I opted to go for a water based paint that sits between the acrylic and enamel types.. The enamel type leaves a very nice finish when applied correctly, is durable and very stain resistant but was too costly to paint my entire place with..

Zipzorp

I've used chamberlains brand satin in my bedroom. Quite a nice finish. And recently used fired earth in the living room. Also not too bad. Used some dulux colors of the world for a feature wall - but painting the while place with that works rather expensive.
What's your experience with Fired Earth? You reckon it measures up to Plascon or Dulux?

Zipzorp

Sounds like the paint he used is a water based acrylic type paint.. Very easy to paint with and cheap but, it has that nasty habit of attracting stains.. try and wash the stains off, and you may scrub the actual paint off, especially if the surface wasn't prepped properly..

Surface prep for new paint will depend on the type of paint you go with next and I would recommend spending the time to do it right.. it's a lot of back breaking, time consuming work if you have terrible surfaces to work with but it will make all the difference in the world to the end result..

I opted to go for a water based paint that sits between the acrylic and enamel types.. The enamel type leaves a very nice finish when applied correctly, is durable and very stain resistant but was too costly to paint my entire place with..
Looking at the upside of 1.8k for 20l...
My reasoning is that once its done, it shouldn't bother me for a good couple of years?
Any recommendations on what products to use for prep?

WAslayer

Expert Member
My reasoning is that once its done, it shouldn't bother me for a good couple of years?
Yes, it is expensive.. Just bear in mind that the paint will have a specific square meter coverage per litre.. 20liters may only get you through one room for example.. depending on the current condition/colour of the wall, you may need multiple coats to get a proper finish..

The basic prep work would consist of a crack filler to fill any holes/cracks which then needs sanding down once dry so it's level with the rest of the wall.. I hope to god that you have smooth flat walls.. I have, what can only be described as popcorn walls.. every hole I filled is a flat spot and stands out like a sore eye against the bumps or popcorns..

You get a silicon based filler which I stayed away from.. Pollyfilla or a powder based mix with water filler works better..

You would also need to sand the walls down, regardless of which paint you go with.. A sand of some degree is a minimum requirement.. This helps get a nice key for the new paint to stick to..

Practice your masking tape skills..

Corelli

First reprime

First reprime it all after you washed with sugar soap (use gloves) then paint with either double velvet or cashmere. Cashmere is more a matt type of paint where double velvet is better generally.

Corelli

For outside do the same but use plascon wall and all. Makro is always cheapest for plascon paint. What the primer does is reseal the walls and yet double the life of the topcoat. Ie with good prep you only need to paint your outside of the housr every 20 years

Venomous

Honorary Master
Unless you are going to use pva AGAIN you will need to apply a bonding liquid between the pva and whatever you use next. But first wash the walls down with sugar soap. You can use a broom as the scrubbing brush so you can reach high, when washing.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Interior we painted in double velvet. Proper prep is key and it lasts for years. Wipes clean with a wet cloth for our kids that mess the walls.

Metallicson

I used Dulux WALLGUARD- Hydrophobic mechanism- allows walls to "breathe". It is classed as an exterior paint with a smooth silk finish.(R 1900/ 20L)
Make sure you choose your colours well because unless you get tired of the colour you will never have to paint your walls again. I painted the interior walls of my house in 1991 and apart of wiping the walls with a sugar soap solution every couple of years, the paintwork is still perfect. Go onto the DULUX website, there are apps you can download, PDF's etc. It is full of tips and advice. As other Forumites have advised, don't skimp on the preparation of the surfaces. For your skirtings/ doors and frames use the WATER BASED ENAMEL- PEARLGLOW, very hard surface and chip resistant. Good Luck!

SKILL IS A TRADE.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just recently painted my place out with Dulux Luxurious Silk which I'm very happy with. It's a water based paint.

aquadat0r

What's your experience with Fired Earth? You reckon it measures up to Plascon or Dulux?
Also interested to hear views on this. Fired Earth Ultimate Coat - Extreme (20L) goes for R950 at Builders compared to Dulux Luxurious Silk at Makro for R2000.