Best phones in the R2k-R4k bracket?

Daruk

Honorary Master
What would you say is the best bang for buck in this bracket? What's important is overall speed, storage and (possibly) camera.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Probably something like: https://www.hi-online.co.za/pdp/nokia-6-1/_/A-270085AAEH8
Nokia 6.1
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nokia-6-2018-review
Note that some people have ported Google Camera over. https://nokiapoweruser.com/google-camera-apk-download-for-nokia-smartphones/

Currently using it on my Nokia 7 Plus, the HDR on the Google Camera app is noticeably better.
The 6.1 has a good Snapdragon 630, which includes OIS, 3GB RAM, 32GB storage and runs Android One, so guaranteed OS release for at least another year, and security patches for another 2.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Probably something like: https://www.hi-online.co.za/pdp/nokia-6-1/_/A-270085AAEH8
Nokia 6.1
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nokia-6-2018-review
Note that some people have ported Google Camera over. https://nokiapoweruser.com/google-camera-apk-download-for-nokia-smartphones/

Currently using it on my Nokia 7 Plus, the HDR on the Google Camera app is noticeably better.
The 6.1 has a good Snapdragon 630, which includes OIS, 3GB RAM, 32GB storage and runs Android One, so guaranteed OS release for at least another year, and security patches for another 2.
OK, that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Daruk

Honorary Master
OK, so P20 Lite or Nokia 6.1? Pretend they're the same price. Which would you take?
The Android One is compelling on the 6.1 but I think the P20 lite has 4Gb RAM and possibly a better CPU...
I have no idea of the P20 Lite's photo capabilities.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
OK, so P20 Lite or Nokia 6.1? Pretend they're the same price. Which would you take?
The Android One is compelling on the 6.1 but I think the P20 lite has 4Gb RAM and possibly a better CPU...
I have no idea of the P20 Lite's photo capabilities.
For future reference, Kirin 659 vs Snapdragon 630, the 630 is slightly weaker in single core (around 6% weaker), but substantially better multi-core (28% faster). The GPU in the Snapdragon 660 is definitely better than the Kirin 659, but what Huawei does is "optimize" apps, they check how the program runs and then cut what corners they can in order to make it run faster, often at the cost of image quality.
The two phones on GSMArena (left Huawei P20 lite, right Nokia 6.1):
1553541179093.png

Then the Nokia 6.1 also supports BT5, both support fast charging, but I think the Snapdragon one is slightly faster as can peak to 3W, but don't quote me on that.
The rear camera on the Nokia is definitely better, plus you can get the ported Google Camera.

For me the EMUI OS is also a negative, plus Android One should be "more efficient" in terms of RAM usage as no skin.

That Nokia 8 deal is great, way higher class than other devices in this thread.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
For future reference, Kirin 659 vs Snapdragon 630, the 630 is slightly weaker in single core (around 6% weaker), but substantially better multi-core (28% faster). The GPU in the Snapdragon 660 is definitely better than the Kirin 659, but what Huawei does is "optimize" apps, they check how the program runs and then cut what corners they can in order to make it run faster, often at the cost of image quality.
View attachment 637634

Then the Nokia 6.1 also supports BT5, both support fast charging, but I think the Snapdragon one is slightly faster as can peak to 3W, but don't quote me on that.
The rear camera on the Nokia is definitely better, plus you can get the ported Google Camera.

For me the EMUI OS is also a negative, plus Android One should be "more efficient" in terms of RAM usage as no skin.

Thanks, good info!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
View attachment 637634

Nothing wrong with Emui. Not much bloatware and dual sim to boot which Nokia's here don't have. That Nokia 8 will also be EOL and I doubt it'll receive any more significant updates...

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with Emui. Not much bloatware and dual sim to boot which Nokia's here don't have. That Nokia 8 will also be EOL and I doubt it'll receive any more significant updates...
It's part of the Android One program, which is 2 years major OS support, 3 years security updates. Nokia 8 was released 28 of August 2017, so September 2017.
That means major OS updates until:
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
and security patches till:
Result: Thursday, August 27, 2020
not counting that the phone is super popular, it was due to locked bootloader that it didn't get LineageOS support. Since bootloader is now unlocked (Sep 2018), it's expected that Lineage OS 16 will support the Nokia line-up (or at the very least, a version that supports it will be released before August 2020, over 1.5 years from now).

I dislike EMUI, I'd pretty much require Nova launcher. EMUI also has a tendency to stop push notifications from a lot of apps, e.g. Telegram and Hangouts, there are always delays for e.g. emails, even if you add them to not be managed by power saving features. I don't understand the share feature, who came up with that?

I was "forced" to use it for a couple of days as I forgot my phone at home when I went on a trip, I just can't stand it. The newer EMUI is a lot better than the old version, that one had stupidity like requiring left/right swipe between notifications and settings toggles.

Btw, "not much bloatware" versus stock which has none lol.

Last edited: