• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Best place to buy Macbook on contract

jnvdh06

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been itching for a Macbook. I already have an iPhone so I want to "complete" the Apple ecosystem.

The only problem is, the things are so damn expensive. I do have an iStore card but the payment option of just 1/2 years is a bit too much for me to afford each month.

I originally looked at getting the Macbook Pro 2012 (Non-Retina) as it seems to be the most practical option i.e. have the most ports and has a CD drive etc and it is upgrade-able in terms of storage and ram. My only concern is that it is a bit dated by now and I don't know how long Apple will still support it.

I'm basically only looking for a laptop for mostly office work, watching movies, and some photo editing/storage.

I need at least 500gb storage as I have a lot of photos on my current laptop, which is an Acer Aspire E1-571. It is still running well, no issues, about 3 years old, but I'm just starting to look around for something new.

Budget is around 15-20k.

Any advice?

Last edited:

jsheed_sa

Expert Member
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been itching for a Macbook. I already have an iPhone so I want to "complete" the Apple ecosystem.

The only problem is, the things are so damn expensive. I do have an iStore card but the payment option of just 1/2 years is a bit too much for me to afford each month.

I originally looked at getting the Macbook Pro 2012 (Non-Retina) as it seems to be the most practical option i.e. have the most ports and has a CD drive etc and it is upgrade-able in terms of storage and ram. My only concern is that it is a bit dated by now and I don't know how long Apple will still support it.

I'm basically only looking for a laptop for mostly office work, watching movies, and some photo editing/storage.

I need at least 500gb storage as I have a lot of photos on my current laptop, which is an Acer Aspire E1-571. It is still running well, no issues, about 3 years old, but I'm just starting to look around for something new.

Budget is around 15-20k.

Any advice?
Buy 2nd hand (Gumtree or the like).

a) You get a huge discount
b) Make sure its got some remaining warranty as you can then load up an EXTRA 2 years with Apple Care (costs a fee, but worth it for peace of mind).

You can confirm warranty online via:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

I bought a 2015 Retina MBP 13" i5/256GB SSD/8GB RAM for 14k at the beginning of 2016 with some warranty left over. I then added Apple Care. The same machine would have cost me 30k+ new.

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
FNB smart devices or something like that have macs on contract around R550 a month

C_hristo

just make sure you are planning to stick with them for the full periods. they charge exotic cancellation fees.
i was looking at telkom. R650 including 2gig data pm for 36 months - which is a bit of a nightmare thought!

bigboy529

Expert Member
FNB smart device contracts is hellish expensive compared to the iStore card. Actually the intrest they charge on the iStore card is very reasonable. If you are sure you can afford it and if you have good discipline with credit cards, (in other words lock that sucker away), then in my opinion the iStore card is a very good option.

The thing is, Myistore only stocks the latest macbooks (which is fine I guess), and places like Telkom stock models which are ancient. So where are all the mid-2015 macbooks?

Gadgetology

If you buy 2nd hand MacBook though make sure to verify with iStore if the MacBook was purchased from them. If not they will not give you the 2 year extension on your warranty.

If you buy 2nd hand MacBook though make sure to verify with iStore if the MacBook was purchased from them. If not they will not give you the 2 year extension on your warranty.
People have bought warranties from eBay or Amazon (international) and I heard that The Core Group have honoured them.

Kaseran

Has anyone checked secondbite.co.za they sell pre owned Apple products ? I’m in need of a MacBook and they have preowned MacBooks from 2012 onwards and brand new as well. Some advise if these guys are trustworthy or just dodge and stay away?

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
You are not going to get a 512gb ssd Macbook Pro new for R15 - 20k. Unless it is the ultra portable Macbook.