Best-priced 100Mbps fibre from prominent ISPs on Vumatel, Openserve, Frogfoot, Octotel, and Metrofibre

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Cheapest 100Mbps fibre packages in South Africa

Home fibre prices in South Africa have dropped substantially over the last few years, with connectivity going live in more areas, customers increasing, and demand for faster Internet services growing.

When Vumatel launched some of the first fibre-to-the-home packages in South Africa in 2014, it offered download speeds of up to 100Mbps.

MEG101

And on Vodacom a 100Mbps line still cost R1499...
Yeah, and do not forget the fair use policy of 2.5TB and then the line gets throttled to 2mbps for remainder of month...fiber should be uncapped unshaped unthrottled with No FUP, you should be able to use the internet as you wish. I know of some people that are on 100mbps line with Afrihost and already on 15TB and not a peep from Afrihost about usage...

furpile

Expert Member
Yeah, and do not forget the fair use policy of 2.5TB and then the line gets throttled to 2mbps for remainder of month...fiber should be uncapped unshaped unthrottled with No FUP, you should be able to use the internet as you wish. I know of some people that are on 100mbps line with Afrihost and already on 15TB and not a peep from Afrihost about usage...
Just use a different ISP on the Vodacom network. I am with CI, no limits, no FUP, always full speed. But the pricing from Vodacom still sucks.

charlieharper

Expert Member
WebAfrica's pricing on the table is very much irrelevant... they make it to the top of the list, but that pricing only available to new customers for the first few months, then they add another 12-40% depending on FNO.

So at best they would be 3 or 4th every time, and still they screw with your upload speeds.

Last edited:

cyb3rt

I have a question for the guys that know. I am currently on Cybersmart Uncapped Premium (50/25) which is R799. I was previously on the "normal" or "Lite" package with the same speeds and I was getting random packet loss while gaming. Upgraded to "Premium" and all was good and has been for a couple of months now.

Looking at the WebAfrica 100/20 package which is also R799 but double the down speed. I am just confused as to what the "Lite" and "Premium" means and what the differences are REALLY, and why WebAfrica just has the single package without Lite/Premium/Golden/Whatever. If I were to switch from Cybersmart to that WebAfrica one, will I be downgrading to a "Lite" type of deal again or get the same kind of service/offering with double the down speed (I don't mind the small hit with Upload).

cyb3rt

WebAfrica's pricing on the table is very much irrelevant... they make it to the top of the list, but that pricing only available to new customers for first 3 months, then they add another 12-40% depending on FNO.

So at best they would be 3 or 4th every time, and still they screw with your upload speeds.
On the site (looking at 100/20) it clearly states R799 till the end of the year which is 5 months and not bad at all.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Where there's competition for FNOs down a street, how does Vumatel get business based on price (and here I am leaving out poor service by 1 FNO or only FNO being available).

MEG101

Anyone on RSA Web? How is the performance on uncapped unshaped and unthrottled and is there a FUP? And how does this pay only R995 promotion work until December 2021 on the 100mbps line? Do you pay the regular R 1195.00 per month after that? I see they also offer free installation and connection on Vumatel, since that is the only FNO in my area at the moment. Afrihost offer 100mbps uncapped unshaped unthrottled with NO FUP for R997.00 per month. Installation is R 1497.00, Axxess is R995.00 per month with R995 installation, also uncapped unshaped unthrottled with NO FUP. Which one should I go for?

lunch

I'm with WebAfrica on Openserve and that's not what I'm paying for my 100mb line. My upload speed is different though
1626855561325.png

Attachments

• 1626855510730.png
    1626855510730.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 26

boomslang

Currently paying R1085 for 100/100 on Octotel/RSAWEB. Looks like the price in the article is for new sign-ups only.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
1626857186118.png

I am paying R897 on FF via Afrihost.

11759983388.png

Death

Why is Webafrica the only one with weird upload speeds? They definitely not matching other ISP's who's offering I'd gather is what the Fibre Providers actually offer in terms of up/down speeds since they are mostly the same?
And therefore are cheaper than everyone to top the lists.

Last edited:

eye_suc

Expert Member
Currently paying R1085 for 100/100 on Octotel/RSAWEB. Looks like the price in the article is for new sign-ups only.
On their site it looks like a promotion for new sign-ups yes, but it is also temporary.

1626863205059.png

@SuperHero Sarah Is it possible to cancel my service and then immediately re-apply for the discount? Or would it be in my best interests to move to another ISP which offers the same service for the same price, e.g. Afrihost charges R997 with no promotion.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
These are big guns...here is a smaller ISP prices on Openserve. Not fair on these great small businesses that provide great service and know their customers by name...go SMMEs!

SuperHero Sarah

Company Representative
Company Rep
On their site it looks like a promotion for new sign-ups yes, but it is also temporary.

View attachment 1111574

@SuperHero Sarah Is it possible to cancel my service and then immediately re-apply for the discount? Or would it be in my best interests to move to another ISP which offers the same service for the same price, e.g. Afrihost charges R997 with no promotion.
Hi there.

Unfortunately our terms and conditions do not allow for customers to cancel and then sign up for new up promotions. If you send us an email to projects.ftth@rsaweb.net we may be able to evaluate your current pricing.

Regards,

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Why is Webafrica the only one with weird upload speeds? They definitely not matching other ISP's who's offering I'd gather is what the Fibre Providers actually offer in terms of up/down speeds since they are mostly the same?
And therefore are cheaper than everyone to top the lists.
That's very weird, 5Mbps up on a 100Mbps line? That's barely enough up bandwidth to satisfy the ACK responses when downloading at full speed.

furpile

Expert Member
It's actually R1097 for the 100/50 and R1187 for the 100/100. :)
Thanks, not all ISP's have dropped the prices yet though. Worth considering when I upgrade from my current 10 Mbps line although I am very happy with my current ISP.