Best reliable/cheap forwarding service or courier from the US?

rossvr

Good day,
I'm looking to import a second hand phone from the US. I know somebody in the US who is willing to carry out and collect the purchase on my behalf, and then ship it here for me. The problem is that I'm having trouble finding a well priced and reliable courier or forwarding service to use. All of the forwarding services (myUS, Ship7, etc.) have a large amount of negative reviews, and all of the big international courier companies, (DHL, UPS, etc.) charge too much ($90 and upwards). I have seen that there are websites in the US that ship internationally and use couriers like DHL and offer lower shipping, but since I would be shipping it privately, the price is very high. All of these shipping options are also usually very fast (9 days max), which I assume I'm paying for, and I would be happy to wait a month if it meant a lower shipping cost. If anyone has any well priced reliable couriers or forwarding services they can recommend, or even any tips from anyone who has any experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Aramex Global Shopper. You'll wait a month but it's cheap.
Amazon direct if you can, it'll get here in 2 weeks.
DHL Africa Shop also works but haven't tried it

rossvr

Aramex Global Shopper. You'll wait a month but it's cheap.
Amazon direct if you can, it'll get here in 2 weeks.
DHL Africa Shop also works but haven't tried it
Thanks for the advice. Is Aramex Global Shopper safe? It was the first one I checked out, and I like the sound of it, but I see that a lot of people have issues because Aramex supposedly takes care of dealing with the import fees and taxes and just adds that to the end of your bill, but many people have ended up being charged exorbitant fees by Aramex that they were told were "import fees", but ended up being a lot higher than they should have.

rossvr

What phone are you getting?
I'm really wanting to get a Pixel 4a 5g. It's new enough that buying one second hand is a lot less risky because they haven't had too much time to worn out, so in my mind it's basically like getting a $50-$80 discount. I really value the camera and fast updates, so the Pixel seems like a no brainer, but it's seeming like it's going to be such a hassle that I'm second guessing.

maumau

Honorary Master
I'm really wanting to get a Pixel 4a 5g. It's new enough that buying one second hand is a lot less risky because they haven't had too much time to worn out, so in my mind it's basically like getting a $50-$80 discount. I really value the camera and fast updates, so the Pixel seems like a no brainer, but it's seeming like it's going to be such a hassle that I'm second guessing.

we have a guy on the forum who can arrange an import from Amazon for you if you’re interested.

PM ScottulusMaximus

ros_b

Jumping onto this thread.... I have a similar situation as the OP, except I've already done the purchase (laptop) from the Lenovo US website and I'm having them ship it to my brother who lives in Iowa. He'll have to arrange to have it couriered to me. I don't need speed, so looking for an economical option. I'd prefer to handle the customs stuff myself at Joburg airport to make sure I just pay what's due (my understanding is that would only be 15% VAT?). Thanks!

shadow_man

Executive Member
Thread necro - which forwarders give you access to zero sales tax states like Oregon? Looks like postboxcourier and AGS don't (and I usually use these for non US items).

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Thread necro - which forwarders give you access to zero sales tax states like Oregon? Looks like postboxcourier and AGS don't (and I usually use these for non US items).