Best Route From JHB to George?

razer1980

Hi Guys,

I'm going down to Cape Town over Christmas and New Year and need to go through George (need to drop someone off). What would be the best route to go to George:

- N1 to Colesberg and then take the N9 via Graaff-Reinet?

- N1 to Beaufort West and then take the N12 through Oudtshoorn?

I'm looking to drive a route that is the most "small car" friendly :) ie. not to many pot-holes or too hectic mountain passes. I'll be driving a Peugeot 206 1.4 which will be a bit loaded.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,

Razer1980 :love:

Marthinus100

I always use N1 to Beaufort West then N12 to Oudtsoorn. Meirings poort makes a nice stop. The Outeniqua pass from Oudtsoorn side is not to bad. I used to drive that road alot with a '97 4speed 1.3 Toyota Tazz.

Oh and you will not need to worry about potholes on that road. Just maybe Kudu at night or porcupines between BW and MP

Last edited:

intel8080

Banned
Hi Guys,

I'm going down to Cape Town over Christmas and New Year and need to go through George (need to drop someone off). What would be the best route to go to George:

- N1 to Colesberg and then take the N9 via Graaff-Reinet?

- N1 to Beaufort West and then take the N12 through Oudtshoorn?

I'm looking to drive a route that is the most "small car" friendly :) ie. not to many pot-holes or too hectic mountain passes. I'll be driving a Peugeot 206 1.4 which will be a bit loaded.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,

Razer1980 :love:

There isn't really much of a choice is there? I reside not that far from George and I had never travelled thru GR to go to Jhb. It can be done but WTF. Obviously this issue is of major importance to you otherwise no man in his right mind will stay up at 03:30 in the morning trying to figure it out :D

Last edited:

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Google maps:

N1 + N12 = 1180km, 12 hours 41mins estimate.

N1 + N9 = 1156km, 12 hours 53mins estimate.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
don't know about the entire N9 but the N10 has very little pot holes, but loads of roadworks all over the place, using the stop and go system. (N9 from Colesberg to Middleburg also had one.)

What I love about stop and go is that they normally let cars go before trucks.

So for you I might second the N1/N12 route.

intel8080

Banned
Google maps:

N1 + N12 = 1180km, 12 hours 41mins estimate.

N1 + N9 = 1156km, 12 hours 53mins estimate.

Ha Ha If you fiddle long enough with your gps, I am sure you might find a route below 1100km. Yeah, I said I am from this part of the world. I toled you what the locals prefer. I even said there is not much of a choice and I said that for a reason. But if you want to scratch, scratch then. You are just going to give the op even more sleepless nights. Some people . . . WTF

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Ha Ha If you fiddle long enough with your gps, I am sure you might find a route below 1100km. Yeah, I said I am from this part of the world. I toled you what the locals prefer. I even said there is not much of a choice and I said that for a reason. But if you want to scratch, scratch then. You are just going to give the op even more sleepless nights. Some people . . . WTF

I also know both routes. Nothing wrong with the N9. Beautiful scenery. I was just illustrating that there wasn't much in it. Some people... WTF

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I've driven that route a lot (grew up in George) and I would avoid Graaf Reinett. Just stick to the N1. Colesburg, Beaufort West, Oudtshoorn, George.

And watch out for the cameras at Richmond, Bloem and Beaufort.

Ivan Leon

Executive Member
There is always another option as well:

Dec 20 - 1Time - Direct flight to George - 07h30 to 09h20 - R 1,568
Dec 21 - 1Time - Direct flight to George - 06h50 to 08h40 - R 1,799

Hamster

Resident Rodent
There is always another option as well:

Dec 20 - 1Time - Direct flight to George - 07h30 to 09h20 - R 1,568
Dec 21 - 1Time - Direct flight to George - 06h50 to 08h40 - R 1,799

Wonder if he can't rather get a flight to CT but ask the pilot to fly over George. That way, if this other dude is not a wuss, he can parachute out of the cargo bay.

:p

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I'm not sure why you would want to avoid Graaff Reinet, as has been suggested.

OP, by the look of the replies above, I would rather avoid all the George locals on the N12 :whistling:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm not sure why you would want to avoid Graaff Reinet, as has been suggested.

OP, by the look of the replies above, I would rather avoid all the George locals on the N12 :whistling:

Because N1 is better than N9. Less is more. Thought it was obvious?

SteveO

Expert Member
Route via Beaufort West and Outshoorn. WC roads are 10x better than EC. And the route is probably more scenic.

razer1980

thanks for the replies guys!

basically i'm just looking for a route where i don't need a very powerfull car/suv to drive. like very hectic mountain passes, effed up roads, etc.

I'll be driving at night so it doesn't matter if the route is scenic or not

razer1980

There isn't really much of a choice is there? I reside not that far from George and I had never travelled thru GR to go to Jhb. It can be done but WTF. Obviously this issue is of major importance to you otherwise no man in his right mind will stay up at 03:30 in the morning trying to figure it out :D

I was working nightshift so it's not like this is keeping me awake worrying about it :p

Kelerei

Expert Member
As far as I'm concerned, there's not that much difference between the two routes:

• The N12 option is longer distance-wise, but the N9 option is longer time-wise (you pass through more small towns on the N9, including Graaff-Reinet which seems to strike fear into the heart of certain George residents).
  • The N12 option has a flatter descent profile than the N9 (a few steep jumps on that route), but you're going downhill on all the N9 jumps. I think the trickiest pass is probably Outeniqua, and since that's right before George, it's unavoidable. This would be more of a concern for you if you were travelling in the opposite direction.
  • The N9 will, in general, be more scenic than the N12, but Meiringspoort on the N12 is something special. (And yes, the road trip should be part of the holiday, in my opinion!)
  • I haven't driven these routes for many years, so I can't comment on road conditions. Although Street View seems to indicate that both routes are in good condition, the imagery is three years old and should not therefore be considered definitive. One can get an idea from SANRAL's monthly road conditions report; however, the sections of N9 and N12 within the Western Cape still fall under the Western Cape provincial government's responsibility, and consequently SANRAL doesn't care about those sections.

Honestly, I think this is the best way of deciding which route to take.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
thanks for the replies guys!

basically i'm just looking for a route where i don't need a very powerfull car/suv to drive. like very hectic mountain passes, effed up roads, etc.

I'll be driving at night so it doesn't matter if the route is scenic or not

It's downhill all the way man :p

Just so you know, the N12 (Kimberly road) is the most boring and mind numbing drive you will ever make.