Best-Selling Devotional Has Prayer to 'Help Me to Hate White People'

SoldierMan

Expert Member

Best-Selling Devotional Has Prayer to 'Help Me to Hate White People'

How far have we come since Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous “I Have a Dream” speech?

Sometimes, I’m not so sure. While our society has made tremendous progress toward the idea that all men are created equal, anti-whiteness seems to be all the rage these days. And that is no less racist than hating anyone of any other color.

Yet, in the book, A Rhythm of Prayer: A Collection of Meditations for Renewal, there is a prayer called “Prayer of a Weary Black Woman” that asks God to “help me to hate white people.”

Dear God,

Please help me to hate white people. Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively. I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist.

My prayer is that you would help me to hate the other white people—you know, the nice ones. The Fox News-loving, Trump-supporting voters who “don’t see color” but who make thinly veiled racist comments about “those people.” The people who are happy to have me over for dinner but alert the neighborhood watch anytime an unrecognized person of color passes their house.

[…]

Lord, if you can’t make me hate them, at least spare me from their perennial gaslighting, whitemansplaining, and white woman tears.

Lord, if it be your will, harden my heart. Stop me from striving to see the best in people. Stop me from being hopeful that white people can do and be better. Let me imagine them instead as white-hooded robes standing in front of burning crosses.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
This is in no way Christian in any shape or form. It is hate a racism wrapped up in the form of a prayer. Disgusting.

Cray

Honorary Master
It's a pretty edgy and provocative poem, perhaps it should be cancelled....

Editor's note: Join PJ Media in the fight against the left's anti-american, woke, cancel culture agenda.

Hmm, okay, perhaps not....

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This is in no way Christian in any shape or form. It is hate a racism wrapped up in the form of a prayer. Disgusting.
Many Christian churches covertly promote hate. It doesn't shock me when I see things like these. I remember people from my side of the village were called heathens back when we were kids thus, would often be sidelined at functions organised by Christians.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Many Christian churches covertly promote hate. It doesn't shock me when I see things like these. I remember people from my side of the village were called heathens back when we were kids thus, would often be sidelined at functions organised by Christians.

Again that is MAN doing that if they truly followed what Jesus taught then they would not have done that.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Jesus never taught that, He taught forgiveness, not asking God to put hate in your heart. What man teaches is another issue.
The prayer will have that outcome.
They've clearly never read of Pharaoh and how God hardened his heart.

Enjoy the plagues (you asked for it).

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Christianity is often used to promote and enforce racism, remember how people like Beyers Naude were ostracised by the church?

That is men twisting Christianity to suit them, yes, but mankind does that with many things, it is not exclusive to Christianity as many would have us believe.

Christianity does not promote racism, quite the opposite.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
That is men twisting Christianity to suit them, yes, but mankind does that with many things, it is not exclusive to Christianity as many would have us believe.

Christianity does not promote racism, quite the opposite.
Yep.

I concur. Even if I'm furious at taxes and price hikes. Making KFC jokes and generally displeased with everything in this country. Racism is still a waste of time.