Best smartphones cheaper than R3,000 in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The best smartphones under R3,000 in South Africa

There are numerous capable budget smartphones available in South Africa for less than R3,000.

The expansion of mobile broadband has helped bring online connectivity to people living in rural areas and small towns in South Africa.

Recently, Vodacom announced it completed the rollout of 84 base stations in remote locations across KwaZulu-Natal, bringing cellular connectivity to certain communities for the first time.

Many cannot afford the prices paid by more affluent long-time smartphone users, who in some cases cough up R20,000 or more for the latest flagship models.

However, leading smartphone manufacturers now offer a wide selection of mid-range and budget smartphones to cater to people who need a more affordable device.

Johand

Expert Member
I must say I am impressed with Nokia. Solid phone, limited to no crapware and updates to keep your phone usable for longer!

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I went for 9T at R3200 because it is 4GB RAM and 128GB Storage. Absolutely love this phone for the price, glad I never got a different brand. This is now my 2nd Xaomi, still using the old Redmi 6 as my work phone.

Same only because the Note 9 I got doesn't have call recording functionality.

eg2505

Honorary Master
hard to find something decent for this price,
I found a oneplus X at the time on a sale for R1,7K but only 10 units.
worked well until it just wouldn't turn on mysteriously.

using a S9 with a cracked screen at the moment, screen replacement cost more than the phone :ROFL:

Fox1

Executive Member
Missed opportunity to mention the Hisense E50 Lite? It's got 3gb RAM and under R2k.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Use to own one. After a month of use suddenly got ads popping up all the time. Read online that other Doogee users got the same adware built in the phone.
Don't have any ads on mine only get ghost touches but I have a hunch that it's all the alcohol hand sanitizer we're being peppered with daily.

Leisure Larry

Same only because the Note 9 I got doesn't have call recording functionality.
How is it that the Note 9 doesn't have call recording but the 9T has?
This call recording is like a hit or miss on these devices nowadays.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I went for 9T at R3200 because it is 4GB RAM and 128GB Storage. Absolutely love this phone for the price, glad I never got a different brand. This is now my 2nd Xaomi, still using the old Redmi 6 as my work phone.
I've had 2 Xiaomi's and bought another one in December, which, my wife said "I gave to her" when I was drunk. So now I'm using an old Samsung because every ****ing month something comes up and I can't buy a phone. I wanted a Pocophone X3, (also a sub-brand of Xiaomi, just like Redmi is) but it's a schlep to import it so I'm also going for the 9T.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I've had 2 Xiaomi's and bought another one in December, which, my wife said "I gave to her" when I was drunk. So now I'm using an old Samsung because every ****ing month something comes up and I can't buy a phone. I wanted a Pocophone X3, (also a sub-brand of Xiaomi, just like Redmi is) but it's a schlep to import it so I'm also going for the 9T.
I'm glad you don't drink any more now
You won't be sorry with the 9T
Quick and responsive
I haven't tested games on it as I never ever use a phone as a gaming device so cannot rate it

Camera is average, nothing great nothing bad. Night time photos could be better, or it's me in my drunk behaviour not piloting the phone properly