Best time to arrive at Wynberg Home Affairs?

princes_arabella

Two weeks ago the SO and I arrived there at 07:30 (they open at 8). When the security guard gave us ticket 92 in the queue, we left. The SO tried at Stellenbosch in the week, but since becoming a citizen => new ID number => must get a new Smart ID => so they recommended Paarl, Somerset West or Wynberg.

Would like to try again tomorrow, aiming to get there at 06:45. Would this be early enough? Has anyone been there in the last few months? Maybe the queue moves super fast, so being number 50 in the queue or something won't be such a big deal.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I had to go last year a few times and each time I got there mid morning and waited between 30 minutes to an hour.

So if you're waiting an hour and 15 before it opens, I'd rather just have a nice breakfast then turn up at 9ish and wait it out.

I didn't think they were so busy most times, not sure if that's changed.

Praemon

Expert Member
I got my passport renewed about 3 weeks ago at Bellville, and arrived around 10:30. Took about 30min or so. So arriving first thing might not always be the best.

princes_arabella

Hmm that doesn't seem too bad. Although the security guard said they are open 8:00 - 10:00 on a Saturday:confused:

kianm

Honorary Master
Usually with most Home Affairs offices it's either you make sure you get there very early or you get there a bit later when the queue dies down. The in between will earn you a 3 digit position. I don't know if it ever gets quiet at Home Affairs offices to the extent that you can wake up as usual and get there to a good position

Naks

Expert Member
IME, the Paarl office is usually quieter between 1100-1200 than earlier. Was also quieter on a Thursday than Wednesday.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I know it's a long trip, but the Home Affairs in Springbok are excellent and efficient ...... Heard a lot of people raving about them up this end of the woods!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Thanks guys, might make a day of it and take a trip to Paarl then.
You're going to spend a couple of hours and a half tank of petrol going there, plus the time you wait to be seen and dealt with. There's a day wasted right there.

Just go to Wynberg and play Angry Birds for an hour and you're sorted :)

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thought I'd comment on my recent experience at Wynberg HA.

Had to get my passport renewed after it expired, decided to go to Wynberg home affairs last Friday to get it done. While i did spend most of the day there waiting in queues it wasn't unpleasant in any way and everything was pretty well organised. Ended up applying for my passport and new ID card at the same time and when I did eventually get to the counter it took less than 5 minutes to finish everything (thankfully there is no more paperwork).

I got two SMSes a few minutes later acknowledging that the applications were made.

Yesterday I got an SMS saying my ID card is ready for collection.
Today I got one saying my passport is ready too.

Under 7 days for a ID and passport, not too k@k for Africa!

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result, credit to Wynberg Home Affairs for being on the ball.

terra-byte

@ DrJohnZoidberg What time did you get there? I am planning on going this Friday. Also I heard that they only do collections on a Saturday morning and no applications. Can anyone confirm this?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
@ DrJohnZoidberg What time did you get there? I am planning on going this Friday. Also I heard that they only do collections on a Saturday morning and no applications. Can anyone confirm this?
I got there around 11am for the application and got out at just after 4pm. Yes, it's a long wait but I was expecting that - it's not unpleasant at all though, it's air-conditioned and once you're inside there are lots of seats to wait at. Just take a fully charged phone, some water and a snack and you're golden :D

Collection on Monday took about 2 hours but their systems went down a few hours earlier and there was a backlog so possibly could have been quicker if things were working properly.

aBuGaarith

Went 2 weeks ago on Saturday to Wynburg (4th Feb 2017) stood in line from 5am ....YES ...AM... but really time flies...at least for me.
Once it opened ( 8.30am) I probably spend 15mins to apply for smart id and passport. Just do both if you have the cash...R400 for passport and 150 (I think) for smart id...no photos needed, they take pics for Smart ID and Passport there.
4 days later passport AND smart id was ready...:) My wife collect her's, she went 1.30pm during the week and was there for 30mins max....
I still need to collect my passport and smart id...

Last edited:

air

Expert Member
my experience.
Got there at 0730, opens at 0800, immediately got a number/phamplet from the security personnel.
Number, 85 or thereabout, and decided to do a few more chores (FNB , eBucks, wechat, related, kaching!)
Got back there at 0900, whereby, they were on ~85.
In the doors, just after 0905,(with a new number!), left at 1030 (processed a passport renewal and smart ID). Must say, albeit a tad chaotic, system is in place and I also improved my isiXhosa along the way.
ThumbdsUp from me for a decent experience!