Best Uncapped ADSL Deal including Line Rental (or similar options at better costs)

judalion55

Hi guys

So I am moving from an estate (which has a sole fibre ISP) into my own house in a normal suburb soon. Thus I need to get a new ISP, and I am not the most informed on this topic... Basically I need an uncapped line at about 4mbps with landline rental included. But Telkom has all these fancy offers with extra simcards and nonsense, I just want the line and the internet working. I even have a modem, so I dont needan ISP to give me one.

What are the best and most cost-effective options out there?

Thank you in advance.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Firstly, rather get a capped account, that way you wont get shaped/throttled. Crystal Web and Vox have good offerings. Vox gives you unused data roll over for 6 months.

judalion55

Does Vox or Crystal Web offer line rentals? I dont want to have two invoices - I want to be able to speak to one company only when I need help or have issues.

AndrewB25

You will have to get a phone line through telkom to get ADSL so you will still get two accounts. From experience its better to just get your ADSL line through telkom the ISPs do not assist you with any faults and so you will be contacting telkom if you have issues anyways. A capped account is better and with Vox, Axxess and Afrihost you get free data midnight till 6am so you can just schedule your downloads for that time. I would say go with Vox but honestly they are all pretty similar.

Drifter

Honorary Master

Makes it very difficult to move ISP's if you are not happy with the service. Just leave your line with Telkom. With their new policy, if you want to move your line from your ISP back to them, or to another ISP, you are looking at 30 - 60 days downtime.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master

Wait until you need something done on your telkom line, and now instead of just being able to call telkom up and have it done you first have to go through the ISP. It is way better to keep line with telkom.

judalion55

Ok ... So what do you suggest regarding a Telkom package then? I had the Simple Uncapped 4mbps package before and was quite happy with it, but it does not exist anymore. I also do not have a huge budget for this to get a higher speed line. A capped account might be cheaper, but I have found that I get capped every month on a 50GB cap - and that was halfway through the month only.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
-First check what speed you can get http://www2.telkom.co.za/checkadsl/check.htm
-Then phone your old ISP and check what your usage is (or the client zone if possible).
-Get a capped product to meet you usage from either CW, Vox, Axxess or Afrihost (the only companies I would consider).

When it comes to uncapped the only good ones are Business premium uncapped which are pricey at R700+p/m but aren't throttled/shaped.

Deezil

Sorry to chirp in but I want to add something ... what to do if I do an ADSL check on Telkom website and it says "ADSL not available" but when I inquired with Mweb they had no issues? Well the application is in with them and I'm awaiting activation so I'll just have to see how it goes ...

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Sorry to chirp in but I want to add something ... what to do if I do an ADSL check on Telkom website and it says "ADSL not available" but when I inquired with Mweb they had no issues? Well the application is in with them and I'm awaiting activation so I'll just have to see how it goes ...

Try Afrihost website/dsl broadband/capped dsl bundles/ click any product then click sign up. Under DSL lines Check my maximum line speed.

afri.png