Best uncapped ADSL deals in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
Anyone on this forum who goes with the CHEAPEST deals per those charts needs some serious treatment.

(and their membership card revoked)

genetic

Honorary Master
Anyone on this forum who goes with the CHEAPEST deals per those charts needs some serious treatment.

I'm with Telkom - not the cheapest, but I never get throttled or have speed issues.

Neo_X

Expert Member
Everyone knows by now that uncapped comes with varying thresholds at which point shapping /throttling takes place .
If possible can we include those so that we can compare apples with apples?

i dare myadsl to test those accounts for regular tv usage ( eg 2 to 3 hours a day 720p streaming) and report back which one was able to reach the end of a month.

Azg

Expert Member
Is there anyone on Afrihost 10Mbps uncapped, and how much do you download before you are throttled?

d0b33

Honorary Master
I'm with Telkom - not the cheapest, but I never get throttled or have speed issues.

Mine's throttled every month, I rarely download big files and mostly stream youtube.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Is there anyone on Afrihost 10Mbps uncapped, and how much do you download before you are throttled?

The Standard/Home accounts are bad, just get the Premium.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Mine's throttled every month, I rarely download big files and mostly stream youtube.

You're probably on a low line speed, or don't schedule night time downloads.

The threshold goes up when your line speed goes up.

GODZILLA99

I want real cheap uncapped meaning unshaped untrottled no fup thats what I want so I can change from capped.

NinjaTic

Why is the Telkom LTE Broadband R599 deal not included in this comparison? It's the best value in the country at the moment. No comparison what so ever. Granted you need to be lucky to be located in a coverage area, but if you are it's a no brainier. I'm getting on average 50Mb/s down and 8Mb/s up, fully uncapped. Managed to download Dota2 via steam (7Gb download) in 16mins! Streaming on three TVs at HD and downloading updates in phones etc. and no lag. Torrents are shaped before midnight and after 6am, but in that time slot (00:00-06:00) it's all good. Check out http://www.telkom.co.za/today/unlimited-broadband/. You have to sign a 2 year contract, but you get a router and antenna in the deal.

MickeyD

RIP
Why is the Telkom LTE Broadband R599 deal not included in this comparison? It's the best value in the country at the moment. No comparison what so ever. Granted you need to be lucky to be located in a coverage area, but if you are it's a no brainier. I'm getting on average 50Mb/s down and 8Mb/s up, fully uncapped. Managed to download Dota2 via steam (7Gb download) in 16mins! Streaming on three TVs at HD and downloading updates in phones etc. and no lag. Torrents are shaped before midnight and after 6am, but in that time slot (00:00-06:00) it's all good. Check out http://www.telkom.co.za/today/unlimited-broadband/. You have to sign a 2 year contract, but you get a router and antenna in the deal.

LTE is wireless.
ADSL is not.

I just discovered that with a month of Netflix, I got throttled to oblivion, and I'm Telkom uncapped. And we're talking worse than dial-up speeds here. What bothers me is that they advertise that Showmax doesn't count towards caps; is this true also of uncapped? Isn't this effectively anti-net-neturality? As in, if I want to watch decent VOD without being throttled crazily, I HAVE to use Showmax?

Azg

Expert Member
I just discovered that with a month of Netflix, I got throttled to oblivion, and I'm Telkom uncapped. And we're talking worse than dial-up speeds here. What bothers me is that they advertise that Showmax doesn't count towards caps; is this true also of uncapped? Isn't this effectively anti-net-neturality? As in, if I want to watch decent VOD without being throttled crazily, I HAVE to use Showmax?

You have to pay an addon R99 for the Telkom Entertainment bolt on - and then Showmax data won't count towards your cap. It applies for both capped and uncapped.

I just had the horrifying realization that Telkom is South Africa's Comcast... goodbye ZA net neutrality.