Best Uncapped ADSL ISP offering for Downloading?

lukewd

Hello community. I am looking to get ADSL installed in my home and wanted to ask which ISP is best for my needs?

I do a lot of downloading (over HTTP and torrent protocols), and would like to know which ISP is best suited for this kind of activity on an UNCAPPED account? Do ISP's throttle your connection once you have transferred a certain amount of data? Or how does it work in general? If you were to download torrents via an HTTP proxy, would that solve the issue?

Or are there better options that uncapped ADSL, such as Wimax or something else?

Please advise. Thanks.

GoofySmurf

Expert Member
Hello community. I am looking to get ADSL installed in my home and wanted to ask which ISP is best for my needs?

I do a lot of downloading (over HTTP and torrent protocols), and would like to know which ISP is best suited for this kind of activity on an UNCAPPED account? Do ISP's throttle your connection once you have transferred a certain amount of data? Or how does it work in general? If you were to download torrents via an HTTP proxy, would that solve the issue?

Or are there better options that uncapped ADSL, such as Wimax or something else?

Please advise. Thanks.

Use openweb gold you cant go wrong, moved from mweb cause they start giving you warnings at 400GB a month.

Pada

Executive Member
If you're going to be proxying/tunnelling downloads, then you will receive warnings from Mweb.

If you just download stuff via unencrypted protocols - like port 119 for news servers - then you can do a few 100GB/month on Mweb uncapped.

I usually do about 100GB/month on Mweb uncapped 1Mbps and I've never received any warnings. I've never experienced throttling either (I'm only using news server / HTTP downloads).

Openweb Gold Uncapped is probably the only account that you can really download and tunnel as you please.

Last edited:

lukewd

Wow, only after 400GB? That's much higher than I expected. And most ISP's, do they throttle torrent traffic? Or how does it work?

lukewd

OK thats great. I don't think I would use more than 100GB per month, so it seems going over the acceptable usage policy isn't really going to be an issue.

How does Mweb compare to smaller ISP's like Afrihost, Openweb, RSAweb, WebAfrica, etc, in terms of speed for downloading?

Sl8er

Executive Member

Please advise. Thanks.
Long answer:
If you're going to use any type of seedboxing with mweb, it will be seen as bypassing their shaping. If they find you out you will be warned. If you continue they will most probably kick you off. Also if/when you reach a certain limit you'll get abuse warnings.
On Afrihost pretty much the same thing will happen, although they will first throttle you before you get warned. (Example: I asked afriman how much I'd be allowed to do before they start frowning upon it. *I was told 100GB was ok, 200GB was a big no-no. I posed the same question to OpenWeb and was told to download as much as I can :D )
If you want to download with no worries (no warnings/throttling/etc) OpenWeb Gold is the one for you. If your internet sucks, for whatever reason, email them, have them change you to a different backbone and Bob's your uncle. If your internet sucks with mweb or afrihost (I name these because they're your main players), you're stuck...no changing until they get their poo-poo sorted.
Short answer:
Go with OpenWeb Gold.

EDIT: *1mbps line

lukewd

Thanks Sl8er, very informative.

Last question: How does Telkom ADSL Uncapped service compare to all of the above in terms of warnings, throttling, speed, and general service. I'm thinking it might just be easier to get the whole thing from 1 provider on 1 bill every month...

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Please advise. Thanks.
Openweb GOLD is the only account I know of that doesn't beat you with their FUP. You can do whatever you want with your line.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Thanks Sl8er, very informative.

Last question: How does Telkom ADSL Uncapped service compare to all of the above in terms of warnings, throttling, speed, and general service. I'm thinking it might just be easier to get the whole thing from 1 provider on 1 bill every month...
I can't help you with telkom. In all honesty, I don't see anyone "beating" OpenWeb -unless it's uncapped, unshaped, of course. Maybe someone else using telkom can comment on this?

Mars

Honorary Master
I'm on axxess fibre express 384k. Its unshaped after hours and I download and average of 500+.
Never had a warning, never been shaped

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
I would honestly say the best downloading, browsing and gaming ISP i have used is OpenWeb. I get far better performance with them than TelkomInternet and Cybersmart.

lukewd

There's a lot of support going on for Openweb here. They must obviously be good.

However, they are considerably more expensive for the Gold package. How do their other packages compare?

Seeing as Telkom Do and Mweb are cheaper, would it be fair to say they offer better value for money where price is concerned?

Sl8er

Executive Member
There's a lot of support going on for Openweb here. They must obviously be good.

However, they are considerably more expensive for the Gold package. How do their other packages compare?

Seeing as Telkom Do and Mweb are cheaper, would it be fair to say they offer better value for money where price is concerned?
If you're not willing to fork out the extra dallah, then be prepared for the warnings, throttling, extra shaping, etc. (I use those terms loosely, but they really kinda' don't apply to the Gold accounts.) If you're not planning on replacing all your LEGAL shows/movies/whatever content with HD stuff -what some might consider "downloading the internet" - then your next best bet is probably mweb.
But just remember...if the poo swishes through that fan and things slow down, you'll be right there, enjoying every minute of it :D (ala no backbone change ;) Trust me, Ive read threads and threads and threads of people complaining about non-existent to super slow speeds, while I'm downloading full speed...grateful that I made "the right choice".)
The choice is, of course, ultimately yours. Happy downloading! :D

EDIT: Lemme just add...keep in mind you're not getting married to whichever ISP you choose. If it doesn't work for you, change! It's as simple as that. (Just make sure you follow proper cancellation procedures and you'll be fine.)

Last edited:

MickZA

Executive Member
How Telkom 1Mb Uncapped will perform when the 384Kb accounts are upgraded is unknown but, since 1Mb uncapped was introduced last October, I have seen no throttling whatsoever, it gives the same performance as their capped accounts.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Gold goes on special quite often.

I'm paying R660 for mine.