Best uncapped fibre prices in South Africa: Vumatel vs Telkom vs Fibrehoods

MickeyD

RIP
once-off costs – such as installation, connection, or trenching – have been excluded.
Can you add them in the article then? ... to help us make an informed decision.

Last edited:

Jan

Drifting in the black
Can you add them in the article then? ... to help us make an informed decision.
I tried, but comparing across this many infrastructure providers makes it all but impossible to create a readable article and table showing that much information.

It's also unnecessary to show it in an article like this, I would argue.

The purpose of this article was to try and show the differences in recurring costs for basic month-to-month accounts on the various infrastructure providers.

To compare total cost of ownership, we'd have to either do another article, or series or articles, that splits the tables according to infrastructure provider rather than speed first, then by speed.

Ideally that article (or series) would also have to include contract packages, as you can often avoid once-off costs by taking out a contract.

It would have to show weirdness like Greencom's 3-month initial contract, which then becomes month-to-month, as well as handle providers who give you installation and a router free on a month-to-month package, but require that you pay for them if you cancel before the end of 12 months.

TL;DR: FTTH in South Africa [-]is a disaster zone for comparisons[/-] offers a lot of consumer choice.

MickeyD

RIP
Haha... Ek hoor jou, Jan. :p

How about the total cost over a 24 month period? :twisted:

frank2010

My wifes niece teaches in Vietnam and there uncapped is R120.00 per month and it is FAAASSSTTTT.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Haha... Ek hoor jou, Jan. :p

How about the total cost over a 24 month period? :twisted:
+1

If the installation cost is included in the 24 month contract then it would be more expensive even though it might be cheaper overall than another service.

Electron1

Expert Member
Great article.
I am really interested to know what the feedback is for those lucky enough to be on fibre.
I have heard that in some areas the performance has been so bad (could be either infrastructure or provider or combination of package) that some users have asked to have fibre removed and want to go back to DSL.

MickeyD

RIP
I don't see the Crystal Web (over Vumatel) prices?

Crystal Fibre 100/100Mbps Uncapped = R1 089 (joint sixth cheapest)

Crystal Fibre 50/50Mbps Uncapped = R895 (fourth cheapest)

Crystal Fibre 20/20Mbps Uncapped = R679 (second cheapest)

Then let's discuss the FUPs of all the service providers... 'cos cheapest does not always equal the best broadband experience!!

koeksGHT

Dealer
I don't see the Crystal Web (over Vumatel) prices?

Crystal Fibre 100/100Mbps Uncapped = R1 089 (joint sixth cheapest)

Crystal Fibre 50/50Mbps Uncapped = R895 (fourth cheapest)

Crystal Fibre 20/20Mbps Uncapped = R679 (second cheapest)

Then let's discuss the FUPs of all the service providers... 'cos cheapest does not always equal the best broadband experience!!
Read Cipherwave has fup of about 600gb before international is limited to 10Mbps