Best uncapped isp for gaming & torrents/ftp/http downloads?

goosen

What is the best uncapped isp for gaming & torrents/ftp/http downloads? I want to be able to make big downloads plus it must be good for gaming.I dont want lag. I want a cheap one like a 348k line one. What would you reccomend?

Adrenalin

Expert Member
What is the best uncapped isp for gaming & torrents/ftp/http downloads? I want to be able to make big downloads plus it must be good for gaming.I dont want lag. I want a cheap one like a 348k line one. What would you reccomend?

Buying a plane ticket.
Moving overseas.

Yes, seriously, that is my answer.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Jokes aside, my research indicates openweb gold uncapped (special at the moment for R499) uncapped. Your other options are to go capped packages as in Afrihost 50gig (half price special till end september) it's capped/unshaped, so better for gaming. But if you have the bucks, get saix backbone from SAINET. very costly per gig, but faster for gaming.

goosen

Jokes aside, my research indicates openweb gold uncapped (special at the moment for R499) uncapped. Your other options are to go capped packages as in Afrihost 50gig (half price special till end september) it's capped/unshaped, so better for gaming. But if you have the bucks, get saix backbone from SAINET. very costly per gig, but faster for gaming.

Thanks but what about afrihost uncapped?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Openweb Gold uncapped has dropped to R248.

edit: unless you're referring to the unshaped option. I think he should try the shaped one first though.

Last edited:

Adrenalin

Expert Member

Did you not hear the man? He wants CHEAP, LOW PING, BIG DOWNLOADS, GOOD FOR GAMING UNCAPPED internet.
Keywords here.

Jonny Two Shoes

Expert Member
I often play QuakeLive and everyone on MWEB keeps lagging and they all complain about MWEB. I'm on Afrihost 384 uncapped and I have no such problems and no complaints whatsoever. Get low latency and download on full speed and have yet to be throttled or anything and I do use it a lot. Then again I don't really download much - even with the family on the same router on the Internet everyday and me updating on steam and re-installing windows and doing updates and youtube etc... I haven't used more than 10gig this month lol. Hmmmm thought I had used way more???

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Thanks but what about afrihost uncapped?

I was on afrihost 384 uncapped when it first came out and i never had a problem gaming (PS3). However, if you are looking at that level, then try them out (50%) off till end of september, but you WILL get shaped/throttled.

Openweb Gold uncapped has dropped to R248.

edit: unless you're referring to the unshaped option. I think he should try the shaped one first though.

I tend to agree here. Maybe give this a try, or the unshaped Gold account (R499 - R599 normal price) But AH at 50% off comes in at R99 uncapped!!!

Did you not hear the man? He wants CHEAP, LOW PING, BIG DOWNLOADS, GOOD FOR GAMING UNCAPPED internet.
Keywords here.

LOL. In a perfect world, just look for the best fit unfortunately.

Paul_S

Executive Member
The best solution I can think of is to use two accounts:
MWeb 384K uncapped for downloading and browsing and an unshaped, capped account at another ISP for low latency gaming.

Just put your ADSL modem in bridge mode and set up two PPPoE connections on your PC and switch between the two (or manage the connection on the ADSL modem).

Wasp_21

Expert Member
The best solution I can think of is to use two accounts:
MWeb 384K uncapped for downloading and browsing and an unshaped, capped account at another ISP for low latency gaming.

Just put your ADSL modem in bridge mode and set up two PPPoE connections on your PC and switch between the two (or manage the connection on the ADSL modem).

+1. Other alternative.

goosen

Thanks guys I think im going to get afrihost 348k uncapped since they have a special and they are good for gaming:)

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I had Afrihost 4mb uncapped, it worked fine till the new FUP kicked in, since then I changed to MWEB. My Wife & I Play COD MW2 at the same time on the line, sometimes we can both be host (if in a different lobby), Pings are usually good. So I prefer MWEB at this point.... plus they are working very hard on improving gaming protocols all the time!

goosen

Ok, I will post a review.What is the "FUP" that IRG is talking about?I want it for gaming and downloads.Might get my internet today