Best VoIP service?

AsteriskUser

You realise there’s something called Truecaller? They may not have that number saved on their phone. Fine Ill rather say cli masking than spoofing but you don’t realise how often this happens. I have had subpoena’s for CDR’s before relating to court cases where people have “masked” their cli and pretended to be FNB, just because you are tech savvy enough to use MYBB doesn’t mean everyone else is.

AsteriskUser

I’m also not arguing the fact that they allow this especially since they verify with an otp, I’m saying generally the practice is frowned upon because not all providers have such measures in place.

TedLasso

Expert Member
FWIW, I have been using a overseas VOIP provider that I used to use call South Africa at 1p a minute .

I have both my UK and ZA mobile numbers registered so I can make calls from the platform and it should show the CLI of my UK or ZA number.

For each one, I had to verify the number by providing a OTP so nobody could just spoof my number easily (unless someone at the provider takes over my SIM as we see happens often in SA)

JustAsk

Expert Member
You realise there’s something called Truecaller? They may not have that number saved on their phone. Fine Ill rather say cli masking than spoofing but you don’t realise how often this happens. I have had subpoena’s for CDR’s before relating to court cases where people have “masked” their cli and pretended to be FNB, just because you are tech savvy enough to use MYBB doesn’t mean everyone else is.
Domain/email spoofing happens a lot too...that's why we have things like spf,dkim,dmarc and rDNS.

Phishing happens a lot, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You keep focusing on the wrong things here. You just do NOT give any sensitive info over a phone, spoofed fnb or not. It's not the fault of a legit otp verified voip service, its stupidity. If the stupid people start using common sense a spoofed call will be no threat.

Guns don't kill people...remember

8BitLife

Haven't really been following this thread but for anyone in the market for a good VOIP service for business, I recommend 3CX. If your business is in the MS Office ecosystem it integrates with Teams and thus no need to install other 3rd party apps. Been using 3CX for a few weeks now and every call is crystal clear. Is pricey though. R10k annual licencing fee on top of call fees and monthly per user fees.